• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Increasing number of students

I have runa club for almost a year now and although I've had a few people through the door I am down to just one regular member. Can you give me any advertsing advice to get em rolling in?

(I don't teach kids)

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have runa club for almost a year now and although I've had a few people through the door I am down to just one regular member. Can you give me any advertsing advice to get em rolling in?

(I don't teach kids)

It's hard to get independent adults in through the doors. Generally the older students are there because they either grew up taking martial arts, or they have kids that are taking martial arts.

Can I ask why you don't teach kids?

Other than that, do demos at the local mall, health clubs, "2 weeks free" boxes, things like that.

It's a numbers game. Everything gets cut in half at each step, so if you give your card to 100 people, 50 will call. Of those 50, 25 will make an appointment. Of those 25, 12 will show up for the appointment. Of those 12, 4-6 might actually sign up. Of those 4, 3 will quit within the first 6 months.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

make sure you're hitting the right spots for your advertisements. obviously you want to announce with a poster or a flier or something, but don't hang it in an inappropriate place. gyms are good (people associate fitness and martial arts), if you teach a slow, internally focused martial art you might advertise with a local church or retirement home. try putting some advertisements up at the local supermarket, et cetera, but get permission first. also, hit colleges. there are bound to be people that read them and pass the word on. leave good contact info and the schedule for your classes.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

Good way to advertise is by word of mouth. It is really hard though to get that when you do not instruct kids. I know it is hard with little ones, but even if you decided to take ages 8 or 10 and older i bet you would be surprised at how much they can learn, be awesome, show respect, and bring in business. Parents love to brag about how little billy is testing for his next belt and how much martial arts has helped him in focus, respect, school work etc... And thus, you have free advertisement for the next person. If you are really against instructing kids, recruit you current member(s) to help. Have them hand out cards offering 3 free lessons. If you can get people in and they have a great time, they just may join.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Since you are only dealing with adults, advertise in those papers at the grocery stores and gas stations that sell or give away free newspapers that sell used cars and sporting goods.

Don't buy an ad though; just make a listing in the sporting good section for your lessons. That will only cost you either nothing, or only $3 per week (in my area anyway).

Guys read those free trade papers, so that may work.

aog

Not sure why you do not teach children, but you should consider teaching teenagers.

I moved over the summer and opened a school in September. I have only one adult, but I have 7 kids and 9 teenagers in a community of 1000 people.

ClaflinTSD

"If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else."

Kids are definitely the "bread and butter" of our industry. I look at this way: Kids pay the bills, and the adults are for fun.

In fact, parents of children students are often the best source of adult students.

My advice for the best way to grow an adult MA program: Start a great kids program. Almost every kid has two excellent prospects that shuttle him back and forth.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick addition I want to add:

I ran a school for over a year that only took adults. I ran classes from the local community center and adjacent park during hours that children would be in school (mornings).

It was the most enjoyable learning experience that I ever had in the martial arts. If you don't want to teach kids, kudos to you. Leave teaching kids to those who enjoy it.

AoG

Something which has worked for us is to put ads in locally owned "buy sell & trade" papers.

As well, you can drop your card/flier off at some larger places of businesses to schedule demonstrations. This worked well for us in the past in the summer months when some larger places had picnics, or other get togethers for their adult staff members.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu