• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Andrew, I'm curious about what you said about not flaring your elbow on the jab.

I presume you meen keeping your elbow in close to your body as you punch. I've always tried to punch like this, as I was taught the importance of not letting your elbow rise out when you punch.

But recently in Thailand I was told not to punch with my elbows in. The Thais seem to think this is a weak way to punch. They taught me to allow my elbow to rise slightly out and use the shoulder more for better power.

I found my jab got more power behind it when I did it their way.

Now back in Japan I'm being told to keep my elbows in again.:(

I'm wondering if its a bit like hooks. Some gyms prefer to turn the palm down while others use a vertical fist. Just different preferences.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

No, Jab may get a little more because you don't normally throw your body behind it as much.

Thai boxing is a little different then western boxing in terms of how they punch. In Muay Thai you need to avoid committing your weight to your lead leg, so instead of powering punches by shifting your weight and turning your hips they will throw more from the upper body. Also good to know how to do if your leg has been getting kicked a lot and you can't shift your weight on to it.

Almost a natural adaptation, the leg kicks take the power out of the legs, which can allow you to hit harder, so instead they power them from the shoulders.

Muay Thai fighters also tend to not do much damage with there hands compared to other combat sports. The Knees, elbows and kicks are what wins Muay Thai fights.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andrew that made alot of sense.

I dont know if I agree about the MT fighters laking dangerous punching skills though. It may have been true many years ago, but these days fighters are alot more competent with their punches.

I've seen hundreds of fights and there are just as many KOs by punches as elbows and Kicks.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

No, Jab may get a little more because you don't normally throw your body behind it as much.

Thai boxing is a little different then western boxing in terms of how they punch. In Muay Thai you need to avoid committing your weight to your lead leg, so instead of powering punches by shifting your weight and turning your hips they will throw more from the upper body. Also good to know how to do if your leg has been getting kicked a lot and you can't shift your weight on to it.

Almost a natural adaptation, the leg kicks take the power out of the legs, which can allow you to hit harder, so instead they power them from the shoulders.

Muay Thai fighters also tend to not do much damage with there hands compared to other combat sports. The Knees, elbows and kicks are what wins Muay Thai fights.

which is exactly the reason they prefer other techniques to punches. to a boxer, the cross is really a power punch. To a thai boxer, it's just another straight punch. they just pepper the opponent and set them up for the big strikes.

• 1 month later...

great post, helped a lot as punches aren/t concentrated on in my school so i'll practice using your points

:)

A machine can do the work of 50 men, no machine can do the work of one extraordinary man though