• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, looking at punching technique, and just covering off some tips and pointers to make things work. Feel free to add as I am just doing this here and will miss a few things...

Jab

- Move when you jab, don't stand still and punch.

- It works going in all directions, learn to jab moving forwards, backwards and circling.

- It covers not just your enterance, but your exit. On your way out throw one, even if you no it isn't going to hit, it will help prevent the counter attack.

- Jabs get you out of corners, learn to circle and throw multiple jabs, in both directions. When cornered it can get you back out in the open.

- Jab at or above your eye height, not below. If you're jabbing low, get down their with it.

- The power comes from weight shifts, this can be done in many ways. Timing it with your step forward is one, shifting the weight to the back leg is another. It can be a power punch, but doesn't have to be, it doesn't even have to hit to be a useful one.

- Don't flair the elbow, it can have a lot of power if you are behind it, but if the elbow flairs even a little you just gave it a shock absorber.

- You got many good combos using nothing but jabs, it is your most important punch and is heavily integrated with your footwork. You can never train it too much.

- Cover your jaw line, if you can hit him he can hit you. your punching arm should be shoulder to ear, and your other hand up and tight.

- A good rule to try and follow is always finish with a jab and never withdrawl straight (angle off, drop levels, or jab as you go, most counter punches are coming straight at you to wear your head was, get it off that line or stick your own there first to cover you)

Cross

- Power comes from the legs, not the arms.

- As you are hitting your toes point forward, weight shifts to the lead leg and your back knee turns towards the front, your weight shifts to your front foot.

- Again, cover the jaw line, look down the punch, shoulder to ear and lead hand up.

- "sit" into it, meaning drop your level as you punch, this will give it more power. Always stay low. The strike is at your eye level or above.

- Do not flair the elbow, or wind up. It is not your arm that powers the punch but your legs, turn into it and drive from the legs.

- Practice stepping as you jab, often people train to mainly throw it while standing or on a jab-cross combo using the step on the jab. Train jab-cross with a step for each as well.

Lead Hook

- Get off center to set it up, load your weight to your front foot, facing forward (to his outside) and drop slightly.

- Again the punch is thrown fron the legs, the arm actually does very little.

- Drive from your front leg and pivot in, from both feet forward with weight on the front the do a 90' turn and shift the weight to the rear and rising into it slightly.

- Do not wind up. The punch stays fairly centered.

- Do not let the shoulder get in front of the hand, if it does it absorbs the impact and give you a weak punch.

- All that your arm really does is rotate so that the forearm is parallel to the floor, ALL of the power comes from the legs and the rotation.

- Follow through is important, you are in tight and in his punching range as well. The hook "hooks" back towards you and stays up, don't drop your hand, at the end of its path its almost like a vampire with the cape covering him pose, your elbow then rotates back down and hand is in proper position.

- Against a opposite leaded opponent the hook is a even more important tool, stay outside his lead foot and you can land it while he can't.

- To train the mechanics the "Shovel punch" is a great tool. Throw a hook to the body on the bag with your elbow staying right to your side (virtually no arm movement.)

Rythm

Thought I would mention a little about this, rythym is important, it is what gives you the mechanics to throw combinations with power in each punch, to let them flow into each other.

One punch should set up the next in terms of mechanics, and punches lead into each other. A very simple and important excercise is the cross-hook.

The cross shifts to the lead, points the feet forward and drops into it. This is where a hook is thrown from, A hook turns the feet to the side, shifts the weight to the back and rises slightly, which is where a corss comes from.

A simple drill is to alternate the two in place, not worrying about the hands as much as the legs and the body. It should be a consistant beat (not 1..2.....1..2....1..2 but 1.2.1.2.1.2)

You can also do the same thing with other alternating punches, get used to this flow with all your punches from each hand.

Of course don't get to fixated on this, it's just a basic drill and drills are aids, if your training becomes based around aids you're in trouble

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

mj,hmjbm,nm

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

while mentioning the jab, mention it's uses, too. It's not just an offensive tool for setting up combinations. It's also used to gauge distance form an opponent. This is helpful in determining WHEN you can use your hook and cross and how much you need to step in with your jab. It's used defensively to keep opponents at bay.

Just wondering about the jaw line, I understand that when doing boxing you start off with you fist protecting the chin ( obviously because of the rules)

But in Muay Thai your guard is much higher looking though your guard

(eyebrow level) now when a thai boxer use the jab, some lower thier guard down to chin level and some perfer to leave it up high in the eybrows as it was before ( most likly to protect elbows and kicks ) What is your opinion on this?

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

Muay Thai fighters have different things to worry about. The primary dangers are high kicks and elbows, not punches, which typically are not developed to the level of a boxer.

With a greater emphasis on punching a tighter guard is needed. Same in MMA, where smaller gloves are going to hurt more and ger through easier and takedowns and wrestling style clinch work are also a big threat.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Thai boxers hold there hands in that position, because they are more geared toward defending against kicks. Western boxers hold there hands in there position to defend against punches. I say constantly modify your guard, to best suit the range of your opponent. While taking from two master arts, that specialize in different areas.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

By the way, I love the emphasis on the jab. In personal opinion, it is the single most important strike. I can't really respect any fighter that doesn't have a good jab.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing about uppercuts..I personally don't prefer the rear hook but some people do it...

I usually would only throw a rear hook to the body, not to the head because if I'm that close I'd rather clinch/neck wrestle and knao/knee. To each is own though, some people like the rear hook.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Nice post! Just started taking boxing classes at college (nothing serious like a club, but fun and good work out) and had a few questions about the basic punches your post answered.

Btw, what's a rear-hook if not a cross?