• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Happy New Year from Thailand

Ive been training at the WMC Muay Thai camp, in Lamai, Thailand, for 4 days now.

First day just killed me. The hot weather combined with the non stop pace of the training sessions really pushed me to the limit.

The type of training is a little different to what I usually do in Japan.

For a start they dont spar in rounds here like I usually do. They just go continuously in blocks of around 15 mins. So you have to go really light and focus on technique or you get gassed out after about 20 mins.

Generally we start with jump rope or run

then shadow box.

then knees sparring at grabbing range

then kicks only sparring

then kickboxing

then boxing

then clinching

and finally the pads

You can finish up with some heavy bag work and conditioning.

The breaks in between each block are minimal. Just enough time to quikly douse yourself with water and put on whatever protective gear you need for the next exercise.

These blocks of sparring are also interspersed with frequent pushups.

I'm used to doing pads near the beginning of the workout when I'm still fresh . So I found doing them at the end, after all the sparring really hard.

There are a bunch of trainers here. Almost 1 for every pair of fighters.

So there is always a trainer close by watching you and giving you pointers on techs.

I've adjusted to the climate and pace now and really starting to loosen up and relax more. Only 4 days but I'm noticing improvement already.

Yesterday the owner of the camp, a visciously serious European guy showed up, and started taking us through a bunch of high paced tech drills that really pushed us to the max.

Hes a hard no nonsense man who really has a good knowledge of the intracacies of MT and nows how to push his fighters. I think it was a real wake up call and learning experience for all of us.

Today is a day off, thank goodness, cause I'm really feeling battered and run down.

Back into it again tomorrow morning....

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

zsfgcv

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I guess it doesn't sound so fun to him anymore :lol:

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

usually between 1-2 hrs

Woah na thats a bit long.

We only run about 2 km. Its just for a warm up.

Long distant aerobic runs before a technical workout just fatigue you and have a negative effect on your training.

Better to do your aerobic running at a separate time.

I've heard that some of the camps do a 10 km run before their morning session. But then all the Thais do is eat train and sleep. So they can handle that level of intensity.

• 1 month later...

mgcnbgv

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Hey Drag'n, I noticed that you train in Daidojuku, are you familiar with Kato sensei? I still have tapes of him fighting in Muay Thai when he was here in the USA training with Master Toddy. Kato is one tough SOB, and I'm jealous if he's your sensei.

It's too bad about the car wreck and his leg, but that still doesn't stop him.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I know Kato sensei. Hes a good buddy of my teacher, so he often attends kick boxing matches with us, and comes and hangs out with my teacher at tournies etc. I dont know him well personally though, and unfortunately I havent had the opportunity to train with him.

I think he teaches at the head dojo in Tokyo, which is about 1and1/2 hrs from my house.

I'll have to make the effort to go in there some time soon.

My teacher is Iimura Kenichi.

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool, Kato is very respected in the Muay Thai community by those that have seen him fight before.

My first Muay Thai instructor is friends with Kato and would have Kato work his corner whenever he fought in Japan. Within the next year or so I plan on spending some time at Kato's dojo, my hat's off to you if you get the chance to train under him.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=