• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What MA is hard to fight against if you never saw it before?

I was wondering, now it seems kickboxing, Mui Tai, grappling are really popular these days, but is there a style out there that is off the beaten paths, different from the above, and if someone is use to fighting these styles, would be thrown off.

Jay Johnson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think it matters. A person can only punch or kick you in so many ways. It doesnt matter whether they are doing alot of fancy moving, backflips, Miyagi crane stances or whatever. There are still either inside or outside strikes. Making a lot of complicated, and dazzling moves may confuse an untrained fighter and cause him to become nervous or intimidated, but but that same person in front of an experienced MT fighter and chances are, he won't be bothered much by it at all.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I expect nothing, which means I also expect the unexpected.

When you train your mind to see things(read the opponent) before they are about to happen, then there is little to be concerned with.

All one has to work on then, is reaction time, positioning, balance, and response.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

anyone ever tried to fight a Saishu Ryu guy? First time I stepped into the dojo (and mind you I'm a nidan in BJJ) I was nearly killed. I was beat so bad that I was urinating blood for nearly a week and felt like I was covered in bruises.

John

I don't think matters what the style or systems, the question is can you fight at all. Every system in the martial arts has it's ups and down. If you are not willing to fight, then who cares what the sytem is or isn't

Tim

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

it shouldn't matter.

you train to do your thing, let them do theirs.

what they do does dictate what you do but what you do doesn't rely on them doing something you know.

at least that's what's supposed to happen.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

While in theory it shouldn't matter, the reality is, in a lot of cases, it does.

As previously stated, a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick, but having these presented in an obscure way will always cause at least a little bit of confusion (hence the point of the drunken style).

I don't think there is any particular style that would cause this because it would only confuse those who aren't used to it. So the style that would cause the most confusion would be the one that seems to most go against the principles in the style you study. The key to defeating this is to train in and study as many arts with different aspects as possible so as to limit the amount of confusion as much as possible.

Oh and of course...... assume nothing.

Edited by Jiffy

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I expect nothing, which means I also expect the unexpected.

When you train your mind to see things(read the opponent) before they are about to happen, then there is little to be concerned with.

All one has to work on then, is reaction time, positioning, balance, and response.

:)

Couldn't have put it better myself.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"