• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what is it and would it work well w/ wing chun?

Chin-na is already incorporated in Wing Chun. Be vary if your school does not teach chin-na within its WC curriculum. All major kung fu styles, if not all the non-major ones as well, will teach chin-na in one way or another.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
In what especific the you have chinese influence? In stances, Forms, Uniforms, Circular movements...???

I believe Goju Karate comes from southern white crain of china.Alot of the movements are similar.

yep, that and i belive some chinese kempo. Then it got blended with Okinawan arts.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I do some of it in my karate as we have chinese influence in our art.

In what especific the you have chinese influence? In stances, Forms, Uniforms, Circular movements...???

stances, forms,circular movements, kicks, punches, blocks,etc

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Thanks. I have the opportunity to take it and I think I will, seems well worth the money. I'm not so sharp outside of striking and I figure it'll help round me out a bit.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

Good luck with the class, I hope you have fun......

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

i'm not sure i like the idea of a stand alone chin-na class outside of the main kung fu (style's) class.

it should be taught as a thing that exists within the style that you do.

it really shouldn't be singled out as something extra as it is in some ways, just another tool and almost equates to a punch or a kick.

back in day when i was temporarily training in hk, we occasionally had specific classes that worked on non-striking control (i.e chin-na + other methods of take downs/throws/locks) but even then its context was wing chun. In other words, we were just doing wing chun but not punching or kicking after the interception and using the chin-na (and extras) instead.

The same but not the same.

As said before, wing chun has within it the means to use chin-na techniques and in a modern class espcially, you should be doing non-striking methods. I'd be very wary of a class that has it singled out as something extra or special, much more so than the school that doesn't deal with it.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

we have a little Chin Na in Wing Chun, but I'd like to learn the art in it's entirety. My friend's dad offered to teach me for a small fee a month, he also teaches a different lineage of Wing Chun and 7 Star Praying Mantis.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

You could learn more about chin na from 7 seven star mantis or someother system as the theory of chin na is the same.It will be a aplaid a little different from style to style.In the mantis it uses the mantis hook which WC does not have.If you understand how chin na works you will see that WC has more chin na in it then you thought.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

well, that's just it; chin-na is implied but not completed. in most cases, you'd apply a technique anywhere you can apply a punch, palm and even in some cases a kick. that's why i say it shouldn't be singled out as something special or more special than a punch or a kick.

granted that to practice chin-na requires more effort and an almost different environment and that they aren't inherently present in the forms but isn't that the same with punches and kicks?

you practice and train them as individual elements outside of forms, sparring and drills and then re-introduce them to all three.

the same is true of kicks and chin-na.

with a punch, you take the basic punch out of the form and apply it with footwork, with resistance, with speed.

you do the same with a kick.

with chin-na you tend to take a situation and then see what type of chin-na you can apply.

the usual one is one that starts off very much like a 'normal' punch anyway as the chin-na itself needs to be set up somehow anyway (unless you are very good).

in a lot of cases, you don't actually need chin-na in wing chun. I only practiced ot because of my tai-chi training and my wing chun training in HK with the police (through contact with a family friend).

back to the original poster, i see what you're talking about now.

if you have someone who can teach you details of chin-na then great. it shouldn't be hard to see how to integrate it into your normal training. As i sorta said, wing chun teaches you how to deal with attacks and how to enter. what you do after you've gotten far is almost secondary and if you can apply a punch, kick elbow or knee, you can most probably apply a lock, a throw or a control move.

or all of them.

i have a personal favourite that receives with tan on the outside, punches on the outside, elbows with the receiving hand while initial punch hand threads under the guys arm.

this puts me in a postion where i have both his head and arm to play with.

or i could've just kept it short and lock on the elbow when i first receive with tan.

as for 7* mantis.

i wouldn't say that you'd learn more chin-na from that as mantis is just a much a striking art as wing chun is.

i'd still say tai chi is better as they deal with it in more depth (think wing chun and trapping and that's what you kinda have with tai chi and chin-na)

i'd also be more tempted to say find a school of chinese white crane but alas, they're not that easy to come by.

on the other hand, if all you are after is a frame of reference then by all means go to a school that teaches chin-na as a stand alone thing. Just don't neglect normal training and applying ALL training realistically.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

• 4 weeks later...

It is true that Mantis has a lot of Chin Na in the system. However it is based on attacks and breaking vs controlling a subject or opponent. Chin Na is very applicable in the Wing Chun system because of the simplified movements in the system. This allows for better hand control and faster responses as well.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society