• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

stances and blocks

I am new to this computer-net forum message board and this is my first post. For EdParker Kenpo and any martial art, I have noticed that the forward bow stance and any stance that is full front facing squarely to the front is used for attacking. During a real fight or/and for training practice, can the forward bow stance of EdParker Kenpo or any full front facing stance such as the seisan of Isshin-Ryu be used for defending with a single-limb block to the front with either the left or right hand and arm?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Man that is a good question, I know that a reverse bow can be used for defense, but I never thought about using a forward bow for anything other than attacking, I'll have to think about this and try some stuff out and then I'll post whatever I can come up with

Not familiar with the key shapes (depth, hand position, transitions) of that version of that stance, so it's hard to say. I know that forward force can be deflected with the arm in the step into ginga on the sides, and the guard arm is useful for stuffing in that position, but that's likely got some differences.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Man that is a good question, I know that a reverse bow can be used for defense, but I never thought about using a forward bow for anything other than attacking, I'll have to think about this and try some stuff out and then I'll post whatever I can come up with

Yes, please find out whatever you can about which art or style allows that for training practice and real fighting. It is the most important thing to know in my opinion. Also, please post what those blocks from a full front facing stance can be used for--against kicks and punches?