• advertisement_alt

Multiple Martial Arts?

How many different Martial Arts do you study  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many different Martial Arts do you study

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6

Over the course of one year, I have trained in Muay Thai, Judo, Sirum (Korean Wrestling) Hapkido, and Tae-Kwon Do. Recently I have stopped training in all arts except Muay Thai, I can train at my school up to 5 nights a week, taking 2 Martial Arts a night, but what is your opinion, I am looking for fitness, and self-defense mainly, but maybe in a year or two I would like to compete in Muay Thai, if I took the other arts I would probably like to do a little competing in them too. But do you think I should take all these arts or not all but a combination of them, if so tell me what you think, plz.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have always cross-trained. In TSD, they mixed Jujitsu (a little), Hapkido and Thai boxing in the mix. There was also a jujitsu intructor that shared space with us and I took that for a few months.

I do TKD and Jujitsu now. At one point (before jujitsu) with one if my TKD dojangs, I studied Judo for a bit (and seperate).

My current dojang mixes TKD, Shaolin Chuen Kung Fu, Thai boxing, and karate, if I'm remembering correctly. It's mostly TKD though.

Laurie F

I have rank in 2 arts '3rd dan' Karate and Traditional Japanese Jujitsu, but I have dabbled and trained with people in other arts and picked up the basics well and added it to my Martial arts, these arts include.. Wing Chun, Hapkido, Most forms of grappling in some way..BJJ, shoot wrestling, judo 'trained with a judo bb for about 2 years' kook sool won, tang so do.. I dont claim to know those arts inside out.lol of course not I just trained for a long period of time with people from those arts so it influenced me in some way.

I've studied about 5 or 6...depending how you want to look at it. But my dojo taught more than one style...(but independenly) and we also switched styles from traditional Okinawa, to more of a Krav Maga, kickboxing, street fighting place...but also teaches jujitsu as seperate class...but I also do Aikido at a totally different Dojo with is it's only focus.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

i only study one right now because my instructor would like us to at least reach brown belt before cross training, his reasoning is he wants us to be able to weed out the techniques that are unpractial and for us to have a solid foundation to build off

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I completely agree with your instructor, unknownstyle. He sounds like a very wise individual.

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

I study Jeet Kune Do, sometimes I just use the best moves from other martial arts but mainly JKD

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.