• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sword?

Paul Chen makes a practical katana blade which isn't too terribly costly and gets the job done if you need a live blade for kenjitsu, cutting watermelon in half, whatever :) You can usually grab one for under $150 if you look in the right places (like eBay). They aren't 420 stainless steel worthless swords, either. They're actually forged like authentic katanas are.

The swords Paul Chen make are all forged like a real blade should be, which is why they cost so much. I've held his top-of-the-line stuff as well as the Musashi one. That sword was so cool that I would've probably bought it if I had $600 on me at the time.

Know thyself.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything sold at martial arts supply stores, fake ninja swords, etc. are pieces of dung.

That's not true. The guy who runs the nearest martial art store stocks Paul Chen swords. He readily admits that the 420 and 440 stuff he sells is garbage, and takes the serious students/enthusiasts straight to the Paul Chen stuff.

Know thyself.

Most people who study traditional kenjutsu start out wiht boken then progress to shinken (live blade) much later . Traditional Katana are very expensave at least $1800 for a cheep one . .The reason they are so sharp is to also respect tradition aswell as to test yourself . The samuari didnt carry dull swords at least i really dont believe they did .

Oh YES they did. Do a quick Google search for Miyamoto Musashi. He won most of his fights with a Bokken. The wooden sword in itself is an extremely dangerous weapon, and when it's made out of good wood it will split your skull open without even taking a dent (like brazillian blackheart).

As far as dull blades go, I don't know of any real Samurai who used them. Speaking purely from fiction, Himura Kenshin used a reverse-edge sword, but that's manga, not real-life :)

Know thyself.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

about that red and black sword. it is "supposed" to be a nodachi (though it seems rather small for that type). as I study Goju, weapons aren't a foundation, but rather a specialized section of the dojo, so my knowledge of kenjutsu is limited. from what I have heard from my friend who has used a similar sword, it is mostly meant for display or possibly kata. it is NOT meant for test cutting, now matter how sharp they "say" it is. it is a "staff sword" which became popularly known as a zatoichi, for the "blind samurai" who used this type of sword in films. because it is a straight bladed sword, it doesn't have a high tolerance for stress. it also lacks a tsuba, and has a smooth rounded handle, so sweaty palms beware. serious injury can be sustained if your hands should slip down it. also, iaijutsu students also be aware, because of it's straight blade, battojutsu techniques have a different feel to them (battojutsu being the technique of attacking on the draw). my friend does not reccomend the use of this sword for practical purposes, and I can see why. if you are studying a kenjutsu art, then for the most part, you will not even need a sharp sword as you will mostly be studying kata. look into buying an iaito (which are normally non-sharp from what I've heard). full tang wouldn't hurt either. I'm reminded of a martial arts competition in japan that made the news when the blade of a sword flew out of the handle and killed a spectator. a non sharp sword is effective as a self defense weapon as well. I myself have been struck in the hand with one, and was lucky enough to only recive a cut from the force and weight of the blade and come away without broken bones.

hope this helped

Sutsuraitsu J.

(J. Strait)

6th kyu greenbelt USA Goju

A few years back I was training in Iaido. I started with a Bokken (Red Oak) for a few months, until I got the feel of the weight and learnt basic cuts and thrusts. As someone said, a Bokken on it's own is still a formidible weapon.

After a few months my Sensei gave me the name and address of a Japanese man in London who would sell me a genuine Iaito. This is a blunt katana used for kata practice. It has the same weight and feel of a live blade, but if you make a mistake you won't cut off your training partners (or your own) limbs :)

The interesting thing is, he sold these from his office, and you had to give the name of the Iaido sensei and proved you trained or he would not sell it to you. I have no idea if the man still sells them, as he said to me that he might soon have to stop for fear of getting in trouble with the police, as he also sold the live blades (shinken) for practice.

My sensei had a scary story about some guy who turned up with a katana bought from Battle Orders. Now Battle Orders is a shop near the South Coast of England that sells replica weapons for display. Fairly cheap stuff. This guy was practicing cuts in a room full of students. The peg holding the blade in the handle broke, the blade went flying out and embedded itself in the wall right next to another student!

The moral of the story.. make sure your blade is combat safe, or safe for training! Get it from a proper martial arts retailer, not some catelogue of cheesy samurai swords for people to put on their walls! :roll:

osu!

motoko

2nd Kyu Brown Belt, Wado Ryu Karate-do

"Daniel-san best karate still inside!" Mr Myagi

Try Paul Chen Hand folded swords for the high quality ones. Try Bugei Company there stuff is awesome and expensive. I own a Paul Chen Practical Katana it's pretty nice considering the price. If you're starting out I'd recommend the Pratical Katana, you don't want to ruin an expensive sword. Learn how to cut properly before you go out and buy one of the expensive swords.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

How much are you willing to spend?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"