• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sword?

Many people just like to say that they own a sharp katana or sharp wakizashi. It just makes them feel more like a man (or woman, err...whatever).

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people who study traditional kenjutsu start out wiht boken then progress to shinken (live blade) much later . Traditional Katana are very expensave at least $1800 for a cheep one . .The reason they are so sharp is to also respect tradition aswell as to test yourself . The samuari didnt carry dull swords at least i really dont believe they did .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Well, me being the loser that I sometimes tend to be, I forgot about one of the best places to get swords! EBAY! lol I was looking on ebay last night for a berimbau and found a ton of swords. I believe there was even a sword wielded by an actual samurai. That one was really expensive though, as you can imagine. I saw some handmade chinese swords as well, but that isnt what you're looking for, so it was pretty much pointless for me to say it. lol You can get a lot of hard to find martial arts equipment on ebay. Oh yeah, a word of warning.... if you search for swords, make sure you make it VERY specific because there are thousands of swords for sale. Also, there will be this one sword that everyone seems to have and they want it gone. Its described as a "NINJA/SAMURAI KATANA SWORD! BLACK AND RED!" or something like that. Anyway, its a poorly made sword that is sold for about 20 bucks. Ive seen it on there for 300. So be careful and check the merchandise before you bid.

Like Blade13 suggested...EBay. I've seen swords offered on there, and not just swords from martial arts stores, but from sword dealers. Granted, not sure of their quality, but you could always ask questions before bidding. I've seen samurai swords designed by a Paul Chen, never heard of this designer, but by the look the prices his swords go for, they are neither cheap or too expensive.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 weeks later...

A real katana. I assume by real you mean combat worthy? There are very few places that sell swords that could be called REAL.

Most catalogues don't sell real swords. They're either 420 or 440 stainless steel. Or if they're carbon steel, they're case hardened. Or they have rat-tail tangs. A REAL katana will cost above $1000 and that's just for a basic plain sword. Add design and you can reach upwards of $5,000.

Anything sold at martial arts supply stores, fake ninja swords, etc. are pieces of dung. I own a collection of swords, both fake and real. A 420J stainless sword snaps upon impact with a plain rat-tail carbon case hardened blade.

Good places to get swords:

BUGEI.COM, excellent swords

Custom swords by Paul Chen.

Knight's Edge(don't have a web page I think) for excellent carbon steel swords for practice, but they are flawed. Advantage: $100+ for a sword instead of $1000+)

Museum Replicas: they have a webpage I think. Good quality cheap swords. But don't get anything oriental. Good for european weaponry that is compeletely fucntional.

Those are the best. There are a lot more. Best advice anything from the back of martial arts magazines is very poor quality meant for display.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

On 2002-04-09 15:53, ronryu wrote:

Most people who study traditional kenjutsu start out wiht boken then progress to shinken (live blade) much later . Traditional Katana are very expensave at least $1800 for a cheep one . .The reason they are so sharp is to also respect tradition aswell as to test yourself . The samuari didnt carry dull swords at least i really dont believe they did .

Er, yeah, but they had to use those sharp swords to defend themselves for real! Rather like armies going into real battles with blank ammo! In modern, everyday civilised (supposedly) society, why have a sharp sword? I can think of few legal, sane reasons for ownership. :roll:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why own a sword? Because it sooooooo much funner to whack an arm off a burgler than to shoot him dead. The entertainment factor shoots through the stratosphere. Imagine the headline:

"Burglar attempts to rob house, get arm lopped off instead!"

You know, what difference does it make why anyone would want to own a real sword. Why would a stamp collector want a real copy of a stamp than a cheap print out? Why do car collectors only go for authentic genuine parts rather than fake imitations?

Er, I guess maybe a sword collector would want a real sword over a fake one for probably the same reasons.

As far as modern society, your response is more bigotted and full of prejudice(ie there are no sane, legal reason, and the allusion to hillbilly mentality behind ownership) than older more barbaric mentalities of elder years.

I could be wrong, laws are quite different where you are from. Where I live the laws allow me ownership of such an item without labelling me a psycho.

If the purpose of studying martial arts is self-defense of self and loved ones why on earth would you ever want to own a weapon that would never work if you needed it to?

Er, yeah, I forget, sane and legal stuff stopped me frum doin' 'dat.

If you wanted to learn about guns or protect yourself with one, would you buy a rubber toy? A cap gun perhaps? In that respect I can think of very few sane reasons to defend onself with a plastic gun.

Better to arm yourself to the teeth expecting war at the door and have nothing happen than to live in a stupor of thought and wonder why you weren't better prepared.

And finally(I could go on, but I have bored myself with your response) who are you to judge a person on their reasons for wanting a real sharp sword? The thread started was someone looking where to buy swords. Not looking for a philosophical explanation behind the ethics of owning a sword. I am certain they could care less about your views on modern civilized humanity.

Don't bother replying, waste of bandwidth. :roll:

To the author of th thread you should really check out BUGEI.COM. Their custom swords are the best. Excellent quality. You could cut through a hundred bigots and hypocrites in a single stroke. Drawback, $5,450 US pricetag. IMHO, well worth it. Why buy a blade if there's no functionality in it? :up:

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein