• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discussions on the Eugue Ryu style of Karate.

Eugeu_Ryu_Stylist

The people in the kitchen have no choice but to trust me with knives...quite a few of them don't like it. In our down time, I'll sometimes grab a steak knife and go through the knife drills.

Most people seem to think I'm a bit strange, but there's a few people there who street fight or who did MA a long while back, or who just know about weapons, and we have interesting conversations. Like today, I found out that two of my coworkers own katana-neither of them is in the MA, and neither ever has been.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per class? We don't do a lot of sparring...mostly, we spar every last Thursday of the month, and we have a night devoted to kata mostly every last Tuesday of the month. If our katas are bad, though, we don't get to spar and we keep working kata.

How often do you guys spar?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

We pretty much only do prearranged Sparring. The other person usually knows what you are about to do. Like, The attacker will step foward and pupnch or some other strike and you have parry and counter attack. Thats what we do.

I would like to Spar. Me I could do it without pads, but more than likely they would want to wear pads. That would be fine. Just we need more sparring. That way we could put what we learn into actual Application, so that way if we are ever attacked we can use it.

We do the prearranged sparring, too. That's almost on a nightly basis.

But sparring doesn't necessarily mean real life application. Is your attacker really going to be around your rank or size wearing a karate gi and obi, bow to you, and stop when a center judge shouts "Mate!"?

I enjoy sparring, it's fun to do, but I like kata better.

Naihanchi Shodan? I'm assuming you guys have the three Naihanchi kata (Shodan through Sandan). I'm also guessing you guys have the five Pinan kata (Shodan through Godan). Then, of course, there's ichikyu, nikyu, sankyu...the Wapak school has more, too.

I've done ichikyu, nikyu, Pinan Shodan, sankyu, and Naihanchi Shodan, and I'm hoping/praying I get to do Pinan Nidan this month. I have a few other kata, but they're above my level and I don't perform them as well. I remember quite a bit of Pinan Nidan, actually, quite a bit of Pinan Sandan, Bokudan, Pinan Yondan...I've gone through those kata, and when I get taught them again I think I'll pick them up fairly quickly.

How often do you guys have class?