• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discussions on the Eugue Ryu style of Karate.

Eugeu_Ryu_Stylist

one of my hardest tests was my orange belt. We had a visiting instructor (Sensei Kohler) that night and I got tested by two instructors. I had everything studied up to green belt so that asked me everything up to green belt level and i had only been there for three months. Passed with no problems though.... thank goodness.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you are able to enjoy training for the rest of your life. Thank you for the link.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I studied Eugue-Ryu for a while in the basement of the YMCA in Lima, Ohio for several years probably 15 years ago...does anyone know what ever happened to that bunch, and is it the same style or affiliation? Our sempai had a very nice wife who was a very good aikido instructor, and we took classes from her as well.

That basement dojo had been around a long time (or at least that is what we were told at the time) and the cement floor was a blast for sparring and knuckle push ups.

Just wondering.

Thanks,

P

I know there is still a Lima class. There's also the Wapak class (mine), the class out in Kansas, there was one in Delphos, there's one in Bellfontaine, there's one in England, and there might be one I'm missing, I'm not sure.

Who was your sensei? If it was Sensei Shane Topp, he's at Wapak these days, and he's my teacher. If it was Sensei Kohler (sorry, can't remember the first name), then he's still in charge of the Lima crew. I can't think of who else would have been in charge back then. Sensei Dave, do you know?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Howdy all! I don't think there is a Eugue-Ryu school in Delphos, Ohio, anymore (due to a fire? I think). The Lima class moved out of the old Lima YMCA into the new YMCA about 6 or 7 years ago, then moved again into a smaller private place somewhere downtown just in the last few years. They have a website of their own (as does the Wapak school and school in Kansas City). I think they are in the yellow pages. Just google for Eugue Ryu (or Jukido Kai Sogo Budo for the Wapak school) and you should be able to find them. Not familiar with any Tonys or Terrys from that era though I am sure Senseis Topp or Kohler know of whom you are speaking. Sensei Rodney Kohler runs the Lima school now.

You know, he lives out of country, and I'm willing to bet he knows more about all of this than I do. I'm supposing that's not necessarily a good thing, but I'll get it all worked out straight in my head sometime.

On a random note, hi Craig. Yes, I do spend time on the internet. Can anyone tell by the post count?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Trust me, it's not easy being 4000 miles from home and trying to stay up-to-date and in touch. I've just got more experience so far than you do, KL. Hope everyone is doing well today. Having a nice day here in England. The sun is shining and it's not raining! Yay!

Yup, today was a good day, comparitively. Now, the only bad thing is that I have to go to work.

Advice to any teen without a job and looking: Never, EVER work in a kitchen. It's dangerous work for minimal pay.

I believe it, I worked for 9 months in the produce department at Big Bear right after high school and we had knives all over the place. I was usually the one juggling with the machete (we used it to cut up watermelons).