• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discussions on the Eugue Ryu style of Karate.

Eugeu_Ryu_Stylist

I didn't mean to stop communication for all the Eugue-Ryu Karateka I was just trying to attain more knowledge of the art I love and has been a part of my life for such a long time. I recieved a similar response when I asked about these Kata from a couple of people from Ohio a few years ago, all comunication was severed as if it was a great secret. I'm sorry if I am to inquisitive. I will not post anything further.

Kieran hang on to your packet all the writing on it my be important to you someday at least it will have good memories.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey J.J. Which Ohio people? There's getting to be quite a lot of us these days.

Personally, I don't know yonkyu, and I don't think I've ever heard of it. I'll check the kata list again, but I still don't think I know it. I know ichikyu kata, nikyu kata, sankyu kata, Pinan Shodan, Naihanchi Shodan, and I've been through Pinan Nidan, Pinana Sandan, and Pinan Yondan. Those last three I could do again if I was walked through them again several times.

I don't suppose we could talk through e-mail?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Hi Guys! Sorry I haven't written... I haven't heard of Yonkyu either, I will have to ask Sensei next time I talk to him (may be a while though). I am not surprised that there may be one though. I don't usually have any problems reviewing Kata with other styles. I know many styles consider it TOP SECRET info but I have never really thought we would get into trouble for discussing katas nowadays. I do know that any Kata videos we have are supposed to be strictly for Eugue Ryu students only, but one of the primary reasons for that is so the student won't start working on new katas before the Sensei thinks they are at a comfortable level of training on their previous katas. I hope to make it to the other Eugue Ryu schools eventually and see if there are any differences between katas. If I move back to the states in the next few years I definitely plan to make it a priority to visit the KC school(s). We have our three basic "beginner" katas, five Pinan, three Naihachi, plus a few other various ones.

Okay, now I really want to know. What the heck is yonkyu kata? And, another question would be, what's Hachi-Wan?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

It is my understanding that Hachi-wan was perhapsed incorrectly translated. I have been told that Hachi-wan is niahanchi..In Isshin Ryu kararte, They only use 1 Naihanchi. Naihanchi dachi is the term used in Some Okinawian ryu's, instead of kiba dachi, which many Japanese styles used for the charistic stance, used in Naichanci kata. The interesting fact is that Isshin Ryu karate refers to this stance as Soto Hachiji dachi.

Ohio Judo, I AM a green belt, and I haven't got a clue what yonkyu is. I know ichikyu, nikyu, and sankyu, but I still don't know of yonkyu.

And Blink Dragon, that makes a bit more sense.

It probably changed name, Yonkyu just means 4th class, or number, or group. Since they didn't mention Nikyu it might be possible that our first three "katas" are nearly the same, just with a name changed. Would like a brief discription of Yonkyu if anyone can supply it. Doesn't have to be a step by step instruction, just what it kinda looks like and what basic moves does it have. Thanks!