• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discussions on the Eugue Ryu style of Karate.

Eugeu_Ryu_Stylist

I would love to see that book. I wouldn't have any problem showing you our Nikyu or Sankyu Katas. I am still debating whether to move back to the US anyway, but if I do I am planning to visit the KC class. I am fairly certain that Sensei Topp in the Wapak school would go but he is extremely busy working on his doctorate degree. We'll have to see what happens.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I have been busy lately and have missed alot of classes. Just started to go back again Monday. j.j. i would love to see that book. This is Rick. Thank you.

I hope I havn't over played the value of the yellow book its only a small (18 pages) introduction manual to eugue - ryu. I have talked with the Blind -Dragon and Mrs, Dragon and they may be able to fix up some sort of replica possably of the yellow and blue book intor's if I talk extra nice.

ERS how was your re- entry into class, since you guy's don't spar much what do you do to keep your karate spirit well. (tournaments maybe) don't tell your sensei I said that. (joking)

Am eager to learn the missing kata thank you for offering to teach us, even a written discription of the kata would be helpful to get us started. We have San-Kyu in our system now it would be interesting to see how much difference there is in the way its done

Yes, Sensei Adams wrote the Yellow Book. I have about 30 copies of it and I still use it to this day. Sensei Adams was my Instructor. Sensei Adams was promoted to Godan in Eugue Ryu and he was also a Godan in Judo.

I was teaching Karate for awhile but... I enjoyed Judo much more and you dont see many schools. So, my focus is on Judo now. I like the idea that Sensei Adams made every take a yaer of Judo before they could ttest for their Black Belt. I think more Dojos should that. I encourge my Judo student to study Karate also for thier Black Belt in Judo. I think cross training is very important.

I think Eugue Ryu has a lot more to offer then Tae Kwon Do. I love the Eugue system.

I wish theor wer omore dojos out there. It is hard to keep students in Eugue Ryu because Tae Kwon Do promotes students to Black Belt within 3 years and you can be 8 years old to be a Black Belt.

Sensei Adams believe that someone needed to be at least 16 years old to be a Black Belt. At age 7 your body isnt develop yet.

I leran much more then Judo/Karate from Sensei Adams. He taught that Martial Arts is a way of life.

Now has a Judo Instructor with 6 Dojo and over 300 students. I teach the same as Sensei Adams taught me. It is a way of life. Sensei Adams was my hero and mentor.

Mark Hunter

Sandan - Eugue Ryu

Rokyudan - Judo

Rokudan - Ju Jitsu

Mark Hunter

Ameri-Kan Judo

https://www.amerikanjudo.org

" A family that THROWS together GROWS together"

Gah. The one day I'm gone from the forums, everybody talks!

Sensei Dave, I think Sensei graduated. I know the class gave him a graduation present, at least.

I, too, would love to see that book...What's the blue book?

I'll be back later...maybe...I just got home from work (at 11:00 pm...) so maybe not.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I guess my yellow book isn't as rare as I thought. We also use the yellow book as our basic guidline. Although some of the Promotional criteria has been changed we are required to be 18 to be a shodan instead of 17 we have no stated time in grade to test to the next level its up to our instructor to determine when we are ready to test for promotion.

So our yellow book turned to blue.

We dont have a lot of Judo schools in our area that I'm aware of.

Sensei Williams taught some Aikido. So I guess we are an eclectic art. I'll hear from the Blind Dragon about that statement.

I think that for some it is not a way of life its a status thing and for others its an economic thing. Not that its bad to sell your knowledge and hard work if its done with a passion for the art and a need to share.

I don't have anything against TKD it must be a good art it's in the Olympics but thy are hard to compete against for students because of the flash and and status of the quick promotion.

I'm sorry I never had a chance to meet Sensei Adams.

Mr. Hunter do you know our original instructor in K.C. Sensei Terry James.

Mr. Williams used to tell beginner students that it took about 1 year for every belt level or rank. When our first belt was still an orange belt, promotion was possible in 4-6 months. Then of course progression through the higher ranks, colored through advanced levels, had an extended period of class as well as practice on your own time. 5-6 yrs is probably a good time for the shodan level. Having experience in some other arts, and from what I have seen elsewhere, alot of systems do seem to have less of a timeline. Alot of mimiced techniques up to the first Dan lavel, and then they try and tweak the movements. It is as though they wanted to rush the students. To the semi-annual, black belt tests. It is a far cry from the discipline for every technique, that I learned reguardless of rank.progressing through Eugue Ryu. We had additional study sheets of terminology and required techniques per belt level, besides the yellow book. I believe in more indepth study guide or instructors manual may be necessary to keep all Eugue Ryu standradized where ever it may be. Kata for instance is one questionable area. Additional katas were added, dropped, or not taught. For instance, Ni-Kyu is not listedin the old yellow book manual. Neither is sanchin, kusanku, or Nianchi 2 & 3. Yet Yanku is. And I don't believe anyone, has any recolection of it any longer. I believe Mr. James thinks tha Ni-kyu is not the original version that he had learned. I believe from our conversations, that there maybe only segments of Ni & Yan that he recalled. The kata that we perfome in KC is strongly reminience of Tang so Doo. Excepting of course, seiuchin. Which seems to me more closely along the lines of an Isshinryu version I came across. I think, but of course I could be wrong, Nianchi 2 & 3, and kusankyu was added to the ohio schools curriclum in the 80's.

One question for those who do know. What is the closest adaptations that these 3 additional forms were adopted from?

I guess that subject has run it's course. I would like to know what katas everyone knows and how to do ni-kyu and yon- kyu. I talked to Sensei Mike Young several years ago by phone and he did his very best to explain them but I'm not capable of retaining this type of instruction I guess.

I would like to have a discription of and a practcal application for uchi-uke.