• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Discussions on the Eugue Ryu style of Karate.

Eugeu_Ryu_Stylist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never used the term yakasoku kumite we called it ippon kumite or one step, if yonkyu is similar to yakasoku is there a preset arrangement to the techniques performed, in ippon kumite the instructor used their discretion in choosing the techniques used.

When I talked to Sensei Young he described ni-kyu as while stepping at different angles you perform a three series block sequence, but every thing was preset.

I also talked to people at the Lima sch. One of the questions asked and not answered was where did Sensei Flowers recieve his training and from who. All I know is he was in Korea. our promotional certificats indicate Korean and Japanese influence. I can't help but ask questions When I find a source of knowledge.

close- our Nikyu is basically our first 5 basic blocks, block one in 4 directions, then block number two in the same directions, ect... through 5 blocks. What does Yonkyu look like? I would also like a copy of that book, I am a big history fan and would like a copy for my collection if possible.

From what I understand, the head instructor of the Eugue Ryu system is Sensei Michael Young, who inherited it from Sensei Oscar Adams, who inherited it from Sensei Ray Flowers who was stationed in Korea during the Korean War. He learned it from Sensei Kensenzu Yamaegue (hence the name Eugue Ryu). Yamaegue was a Japanese instructor who was in Korea at the time, though I know not why or how long he was living there. Yamaegue was quite old at the time I think while Flowers was in his 20s possibly.

I don't know what yonkyu looks like. I'm certainly glad to know what ni-kyu is like.

It would certainly be nice to know about Yamaeugue Sensei and Flowers Sensei.

Every one have a happy fourth of July and be safe.

Kieran we might find out about yonkyu yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.

Not trying to sound impertinent, but if the yellow book has been copied, then can I see a copy just to satisfy my curiousity?

Oh, and rereading through the thread a bit...I forget who asked, but uchi uke can be used to get to the outside of an attack. E.g, a lunge punch comes in, you step and use uchi-uke and are thus on the outside of their body, out of the way of the attacker's other fist.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Kieran you must be a pleasure for your instructors to teach you apear to understand techniques very well. You can view the yellow book on the budokaikarate.net site, just keep in mind this is history and Eugue-Ryu has evolved greatly from the time this book was printed. I like the old ways Probably because I'm old and understand them better. Have fun! Karate is a way of life. Thanks to Mr. & Mrs. blind dragon for there efforts.

My favorite block of all time is still the fan block. Sure with Uchi Uke you can block and get to the outside, but it is harder to move up on the opponent. That is why I like fan block, because not only can you guide and move up you can guide, grab, move up, and ultimately leave them open to any attack you see fit to use, you can create a kizuchi(sp?) . Of course you can grab after guiding and do a sweep and throw them to the ground. That is why I like Fan Block.

Could you explain to me how exactly fan block is done? I'm sure we probably know it, just by a different name.

Mr. and Mrs. Blind Dragon, thank you very much. I'll view the book when I'm a little more awake and aware. Right now, sad to say, I'm just too tired.

J.J., thanks.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu