• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi from northern virginia

peruser

Hello everyone!

I'm kind of new to TKD and am having a blast with it!

Martial arts were something I always had an interest in, ever since watching David Carridane on Kung Fu when i was a kid - that was a cool show. It took until I was in my 40s to finally get up the guts to really try it.

First got started a couple years ago at the office - a guy (2nd dan) had noon-time workouts and instruction, and off-site belt testing. Then, after about 8 months, he had to leave for another job. After that, I worked out on my own, and took a couple classes with Fairfax County Recreation Assn.

Now, I'm training at an martial arts school in Fairfax. Regular training with great instructors is challenging, fun, and altogether rewarding.

Jeff :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks for the kind welcomes, folks!

HI Jeff..how are those kicks coming?

Stonecrusher69 - The kicks are coming along, albeit slowly!! I am determined to improve!

I am getting a lesson, so to speak, in how important leg strength is to good kicks, as well as balance, and even flexibility. I never thought before just recently, how important leg strength is to leg flexibility, and how the muscles of the hip area are important to powerful round and hook kicks.

For now, I'm on a mission to increase my leg strength and balance - doing lots of squats (sometimes with one of my kids piggybacking on me), lunges, stair work (at the office), etc. It's fun seeing that a body can respond positively to a little stress.

An anecdote - before I began at my current school, I was given a couple free classes to start. When I showed up for my first free class, I didn't realize that evening was when they held class for their more advanced groupings (yellow to black). The workout was intense, at least for me. I felt embarrased that I couldn't keep up with the repetitive push-up sets in between kicking combinations. (After that experience, I focused on doing more pushups in my personal workouts, and now I'm more satisfied with being able to keep up.)

I was really drained after the main part of that class - and then the main instructor took me aside to further evaluate me on forms and techniques. The instructor was very helpful and positive - he really helped me with my tornado roundhouse - something I had been shown with my very first instructor a couple years ago, but had a difficult time doing.

Anyway, not to get rambling - I am thankful for the opportunity to learn, and that my instructors have patience with me.

---------------

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...