• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I really want to replace Tang Soo Do (which I recently quit due to the RIDICULOUS dues I had to pay) with Muay Thai, but the only school here seems to be a slight McDojo. http://www.amafa.com

What're your thoughts?

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looks more like an all in one , MMA type training facility as opposed to a muay thai gym . See if you can check out a class or two before you sign up . McDojo's typically have a ton of testing or promotion dates with coresponding fees so take a look at that , we have a local school here that has 13 tests with fees of up $200 in the first two years . The School has 5 or 6 instructors and about a 100 junior students with 3 or 4 being ranked high enough to attend intermediate/advanced classes and a kickboxing fitness/ aerobic class which looks to be filled with the weight lo$$ crowd and a kids program that costs about $200 a month when all is said and done and contracts coming from every which direction . By most accounts his former students look to have been promoted too fast and their skills seem to be a few belts behind where they should be (subjective opinion ofcoarse ) . Now that my friend is a McDojo .Talk to a few students current and past if you can find them , that will give you a good idea . Seeing as Lansing is not huge you should be able to get a good idea of the instructor and his schools reputation by asking around . On the face value of the web site it looks OK but anyone can put a twist on advertizing .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

okay, I just had a chance to look at some of the site. I looked at the muay thai pics and some flags were raised. there is a pic of a guy doing a knee fromthe clinch - his form is completely wrong. I saw bad form on a roundhouse pic also. Of course, these two guys coulda just been beginners, so I can't tell much just from the pics. Actually, now that I've looked at it twice, EVERYONE in the clinch pic is doing the clinch wrong...

I noticed that it says "beginning muay thai" - the next class is actually savate. If you are only wanting muay thai, then this may not be the place for you.

All of those classes are taught by the same guy... dunno if I like that. and look at the list of styles that the assistant instructor has trained in... iki shin do? sanchin ryu? WTF are those? I know sanchin is a kata, but I have never heard of a style based on it.

All in all, it may not be too bad. One more thing I don't like though, is that the class are only 1 hour long.

• 1 month later...

It is more of a JKD school guys..the Muay Thai is under Ajarn Chai Sirisute for crying out loud...look at the other programs, typical of many of the JKD under Inosanto these days. The head instructor is under Larry Hartsell who is a big name in the JKD world.

From a school I know of in my area that is somewhat similar to this in classes...students in Muay Thai don't spar for at least a year(typically) and hardly if any students ever compete in Muay Thai. I'm not sure if all of them are like this but I have talked to students that told me they quit because they never sparred after a year+ of training(which is odd for Muay Thai).

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• 5 months later...

Watch some classes, but if you want real Muay Thai, look for a Muay Thai Camp. Looks like they may be OK at everything,but good at nothing.

Gravity is the root of lightness; stillness is the ruler of movement. Lao Tzu

Watch some classes, but if you want real Muay Thai, look for a Muay Thai Camp. Looks like they may be OK at everything,but good at nothing.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look who's winning MMA fights these days. It's not Thai boxers, even if Thai boxing is part of their training.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look who's winning MMA fights these days. It's not Thai boxers, even if Thai boxing is part of their training.
He didn't say he wanted MMA, he said he was looking to switch to Muay Thai!!

Gravity is the root of lightness; stillness is the ruler of movement. Lao Tzu