• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help choosing a new style full time

Ricky D

im quite advanced in go kan ryu, which is actually a good style to start in because there are so many people to help you, and i know all basics needed in kung fu.

Anybody got a suggestion to what i should try out now?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

From what I've seen, the other members of this forum belong to many different styles that all offer something unique and beneficial and can probably suggest some that you might consider. Along that line, I can describe what I'm familiar with, which is Karate based on the Sabaki method.

You're probably familiar with the Sabaki method, which is an approach to stand-up fighting that stresses using circular body and foot movements to redirect the opponents energy away from you and using that same energy or momentum to move to a position of advantage with regard to your opponent. This approach usually includes grabs, sweeps, and throws as well as punches, strikes, and kicks. As far as I know, Ashihara and Enshin are the two major organizations centered on this style. From what I understand, both organizations have dojo in Australia that can be located on their websites. I don't know, though, if any of their dojo are located near where you live.

Ashihara is at: http://www.ashihara.com/website/

Enshin Australia is at: http://www.enshin.com.au/main.htm

Hey,

Do you have any interest in some form of grappling? I would recomend it to compliment kung fu and go kan ryu (assuming it's also a striking style).

McNerny

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

It sounds like you have a lot of training in the striking arts. I say try something that has little or no striking for variety.

I take Aikijutsu which I recommend if you can find it in your area. It has the throws of Aikido and the locks of Jujutsu all in one art. It is usually very difficult to learn for beginners but your previous training will surely make it a bit easier. Judo is also a good throwing art from what I have heard, similar to Aikido. I practiced once with a Hapkido guy once and his stuff looked very much like the Jujutsu moves I learned.

If you REALLY want to diversify, maybe wrestling or MMA. I'm glad you're looking for something different. I think it's more beneficial than taking a new art that is very similar to your previous one even though it may be harder to pick up. IMO, another striking art (TKD, Boxing, Muay Thai, etc.) would be less beneficial if you are looking to be well rounded. Of course, the main thing is to follow your interests so you continue to train without getting bored.

Good luck with your decision.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I would sugest something as much like your past experience as possible, becaus ein my opinion you should just become very proficent in one thing becuase there are many different ways to reach one goal which goes along with the say "free yourself of dualistic thinking". If you take a soft martial art or a hard one, youw ill be just as fast in the end and just as strong. But that is just my opinion.

Focus

some people start in a style and stay with it for life, others need to move around until they find a home. I've often said that styles of karate are like coolaid. Its 99% surgar and water, the flavor and the color is a matter of personal choice. May I suggest that you think about the context with which you would like to train. If fitness and and some basic self defense is what you are after than you can focus your efforts to find a dojo that does those things. If yoiu are looking for sport, then there are places that fit that bill.

No one style is (by itself) better than another, but depending on the context of the training one may better suit your needs.

im quite advanced in go kan ryu, which is actually a good style to start in because there are so many people to help you, and i know all basics needed in kung fu.

I actually disagree with this statement. Many kung fu styles have methods of power generation far different from a Shotokan-based art like Go Kan Ryu. Footwork can be a stumbling point also. You may find yourself having to change your very basics if you switch arts now.

If you truly want to switch to something else, go for it, but I recommend "emptying your cup" first. Don't come in with the attitude that your past experience is directly relevant to your new art. You may find yourself disappointed...

I'd suggest an external style with low stances if you want to try a Chinese martial art. Perhaps hung gar?