• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when is the right time

Hard work and reaching for set goals are not mutually exclusive. Wanting to know what the goal is and then working hard to achieve it is not the same as "instant desire" or "the easy way"

At my school, I work hard to prepare my students to test, and they work hard to prepare themselves. My students have clear goals and requirements. I continually let my students know where they are on their path to that goal, so they know when and what they must do to test for the next belt rank. There is no mystery. It's tough, especially at the higher ranks, but everyone knows where they stand.

Should people care about achieving ranks? Yes!

Just as they should care when they get promoted at work, get an "A" on their report card, or teach their child how to ride a bike. Being proud of your accomplishments and then getting back to work to achieve more is what makes America great!

Go ahead, work hard, achieve a goal, then go out and have a beer to celebrate! Then back to work.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know a club (well, a whole family owned group of clubs) that I've heard do that. Very commercial and money orientated, they grade people very quickly just to keep them interested. Even if they're not ready for the grade. As a result you have people with the belt but without the skills/strength/etc to match. I wonder how they would fare in a tournament?

The club where I train hold a grading every 4 months or so. If a student is not ready then they are told, otherwise its a case of "you're grading". I think they have got it just right. With regular training over four months most people can get to the required standard for grading. There is sometimes a seperate grading date set, 4-6 weeks after, for people not quite ready the first time.