shukokai2000

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Sensei Rick. It's just cloth. Training with a gi doesn't make you a better than someone training in sweats. (Though a gi does look nicer. :D) Though, I understand what everyone is saying about the colored gi...it's just the media and the hype of modernization...we always have to take the old and make it new again. To me...I like both...I've always fancied the white uniforms myself..because it makes the color of the belt stand out more than any other color...but a colored gi is also nice for a change evey once in awhile.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

I personally like the black Kung fu tops with white buttons and black pants, which is what we wear. They can get hot especially in group class, so we can wear shorts or whatever, but during our private lessons we are supposed to be in full uniform.

Our school uses them to distinguish different groups of students. All students wear the white gi. Black belt club may wear black pants. Leadership/instructor trainee may wear red pants. That way we can pick out helpers from the class if need be.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I have a takaido from the 80's just before they went away, before they came back. I paid about 80 bucks for it in 1985. It is shredded and black but the most comfortable gi i['ve ever had. I care more about how if feels than how it looks.

[/i]

What do you mean by this? What do you mean "they went away"? Tokaido went away? Or your dojo went away? Or your uniform? Or the style?

I think Tokaido makes the best uniforms but I've also heard that Hirota is just as good now and some people prefer the cut of Kamikaze, even though I heard their material isn't as good(?)

All the MLCAA Students wear all black uniforms and the Instructors have Black uniforms with red trim.

Tim

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

We use to all be required to wear black gi's except for the Head Instructor who had a white top with black pants. That was about 13 year ago, we no longer wear gi's we train in regular work out with t-shirts and thai boxing shorts, or board shorts now.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

We just wear plain white with the belt accordingly. When i first started karate i really wanted a black gi or something i would look cool in. Now i prefer the gi i have now for some unknown reason to me.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I’ve been to schools with color requirements and schools that encouraged multicolored uniforms; the quality of the teaching was no different.

My alma mater was neutral in the color issue. Sometimes it was nice to wear black pants and a white top, blue pants with a red top or even white pants with a blue top. I never noticed a difference in the quality of my techniques or anything else.