• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Gi

shukokai2000

I've have noticed lately the many different coloured karate gi's on sale, red, blue some off pink etc.

Please tell me what's it all about ?

Is it fashion ?

Is it religion ?

Is it Right ?

Am i behind the times ? am i just a traditionalist ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically people want to be there our individual now!lol. You see it in the schools, kids dont want to wear uniforms e.t.c. or the girls alter them to make them shorter calling it 'self expression'lol! we as society have lost touch with the need for 'discipline'! When I started Martial arts there were only 2-3 colours of uniforms and that was in the sport open karate events they were white, black or sometimes a red one...Its not just in the Martial arts either like I said above.. we are going to the extreme in everything and eventual its just going to get way out of hand...why because people dont want to conform to a set of standards or rules its just that simple!

At our school we are allowed to wear black pants once you achieve the rank of Shodan, but we still wear the white tops. I never see us changing to anything too wild. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I'm with Laurie :wink: ! I prefer the traditional uniform. It is "suggested" that I wear black pants as a certified instructor in my system but I choose not too, however, I do wear a black kung fu top with white pants on occasion. At my former school the uniforms changed with each dan, and I'll have to admit it was kinda cool....but I don't miss it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I agree Heidi. Even the kung fu top is weird to me. I have one but I won't wear it.

In my TSD school, once you reached 4th gup, you could wear a black dobok. I thought that was kinda cool. Once you reached cho dan, you could wear black pants with the white (black trim) top.

Being a female, I loved the idea. But I still like the all white regaurdless of style.

Laurie F

it seems the coulored thing gets a bad rap. I try to think progressively. I once read an article about wether or not old masters would wear kicking shoes, the article said they would. I tend to agree. I keep many traditional things in my school and i try to teach as much "DO" as i can. But I know the century were in. Kicking shoes will keep you active in the art longer. Period. (at least in a kicking intesive style)

As for uniforms, (gi or dobock) I can't stand many of the styles that I have seen. In my dojo we recently went with an all black gi and the parents loved it. The all white gi was imposible to keep clean. I only changed because the manufacture made a better product for the same price. It is a real well made affordable uniform. But I don't care what my students train in. Shorts, Sweats,whatever they have. I have a lot of people in lower economic levels and wanna keep my program affordable so that these kids will chose a proper way of life. If my student shows up with a rainbow gi...... he will get kidded around with, but he will not be disallowed to train.

I have a takaido from the 80's just before they went away, before they came back. I paid about 80 bucks for it in 1985. It is shredded and black but the most comfortable gi i['ve ever had. I care more about how if feels than how it looks.

[/i]

place clever martial arts phrase here