• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKF - too much contact

Shrekka

Is anybody else sick of the level of contact allowed in WKF style competitions?

I know the JKF has introduced face masks and body protectors for the kids, but why can't the adults use this as well?

At a recent national competition, a well seasoned fighter had his jaw broken in three places. Does anybody else see this as a low point in WKF comps?

In the rules it says only feather touch to the face, but people continously come away with broken noses and black eyes and the referees and judges sit idly by.

What are your views on this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a martial sport. Having a martial art fighting competition without or light contact really doesn't tell much good about the people doing it.

Competitions don't need to be for everyone and not overly safe. I'd rather see a full contact sparring match with protectors than "controlled" tag-match with whining about the contact.

In short, I think that even the WKF rules are too strict when limiting contact and leaving legs out of the contact area.

If there has to be karate competitions (there doesn't need to be, really), they should portray the karate itself properly - including contact to whole body area (OK, maybe throat and groin may be non-attack areas), throwing and short groundfighting, elbow and knee attacks and other things that are an integral part of karate. Need protectors? Then there should be them. But no "non-contact" karate.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I think that when an individual competes, he/she already knows the risks of injury. It is to be expected. Honestly, I love all sports, and at times many of them can be quite brutal. Boxing, hockey, soccer (heck it is dangerous just to be a fan sitting in the arena of a soccer game :) )

But seriously, there are different levels of martial arts competition. And most instructors/trainers prepare their student very well for the level of competition they will be a participant of.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

It's a martial sport. Having a martial art fighting competition without or light contact really doesn't tell much good about the people doing it.

Competitions don't need to be for everyone and not overly safe. I'd rather see a full contact sparring match with protectors than "controlled" tag-match with whining about the contact.

In short, I think that even the WKF rules are too strict when limiting contact and leaving legs out of the contact area.

If there has to be karate competitions (there doesn't need to be, really), they should portray the karate itself properly - including contact to whole body area (OK, maybe throat and groin may be non-attack areas), throwing and short groundfighting, elbow and knee attacks and other things that are an integral part of karate. Need protectors? Then there should be them. But no "non-contact" karate.

Thanks for your view, but that is not what I am wanting to discuss here.

What I am finding is more and more uncontrolled teachniques being scored or even waived away by the referees and judges.

In my dojo we practise with a full chest guard and a face guard, even though it is safe and injuries very rarely occur, accidents do happen.

Do any of you use protective equipment whilst training in the dojo? Should the WKF introduce these?

Do any of you use protective equipment whilst training in the dojo? Should the WKF introduce these?

All we use is WKF approved gloves.

And thats it Should the WKF Introduce anything else? No they should not. They do allow shin guards but thats optional.

On the issue of contact I belive it is fine the way it is now. We all know what the rules say. And so do the judges now that being said its an interpretation of the rules by the judges. what do they consider light contact.

There are some unspoken rules about contact in WKF compititons such as to the body go as hard as you can and take the penalties as they come, wich they usually dont as long as you dont break anything.wich never happens. Now to the face If you cant take a hit or affraid to get hit you shouldent be in WKF divisions period. Yes we go hard and we do get penalties called for it. But its part of the game and the judges do let us get away with it to some point. Ive noticed the judges call contact violations for face shots if they feel it was malicious or if you draw blood.

To me it what makes WKF the best for point sparring. Its about karate not touchy feely tag Like you see in other touneys if you dont like it or cant hang dont enter go to NASKA or something like that.

Why should there be an interpretation of the rules by some judges whilst other judges stick to the rules? That breeds inconsistency.

It is the lack of control in a lot of the techniques that are being scored which annoys me.

It doesn't have to be touchy feely tag if the competitors use controlled techniques. You can still do a strong reverse punch without punching the poor bastards lights out.

When I fight I expect to get hit, but do my best not to, nor do I invite such things to me.

When you are fighting on the circuit, and not on the street, you have the luxury of choosing your battles.

Perhaps the person was out-classed.

It is a more Martial/combative/physical circuit, so one can expect such things.

Regardless, with any activity that says it involves physical contact, one should expect physical contact, and not just a show of attacks hitting nothing but air.

If rules were broken, and someone got hurt, then that is an entirely different subject.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

If your argument is about consistency, that's always been a problem in tournaments. There is so much politics judging tournaments it's not even worth going, but if you must go, you have to gain the respect of the judges first, which takes time. A lot of people do this by knocking out their opponents in the ring right off the bat knowing they'll get disqualified (at least that's how it used to be done.) Once you've done this for a few tournaments, the judges might start taking you seriously.

It's a stupid thing to have to do, but that's kind of the way it's always been. But this might also be a factor os why there's so few "open" tournaments nowadays too. Anyway, the whole tournament scene is so bad now it's barely worth talking about.

As for the other stuff you mentioned, for free-style sparring we use head gear (optional for adult high ranks), hands and feet pads, cup for the guys, and optional shin guards. With all those pads on, there's no reason to go light unless you're just getting started.

And with all the pads we use this might sound hypocritical, but I think chest protectors and face guards are completely unnecessary and have the potential to hurt your blocking techniques. Why block your face if you know you're not going to feel it anyway?

From a legal point of view, if the rules say light contact to the face, and someone gets their jaw broken, someone might get sued, or prosecuted, or both. The judges should not allow a serious assault to take place if it contravenes the rules.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)