• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the end is nigh

shukokai2000

in my style 8th Dan was the limit with 8th kyu the start (white)

now 10th Dan is the limit and some clubs start at 9th kyu .. All within the same teaching style, Just wondering did the East change this so the west does not catch up ? or is it a different reason. please enlighten me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my style, the founder never promoted anyone higher than 6th Dan, but now black belts are obtaining 9th and 10th Dans. I don't know how this practice developed other than there were individuals deserving of promotion. Most organizations have strict guidelines for testing such high ranks, like age, experience, ... My instructor is a 7th Dan and believe he is quite deserving of this rank. I don't believe it was a way for the east to gain advantage of west.

As for kyu belts. I think it is the decision of the head instructor. Some instructors like to give extra time to gain experience in kyu level before an individual is ready for Shodan. I have seen some schools who actually have added extra kyu levels just for younger children to try and keep their training interesting.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Many have changed or increased the age, rank, and title expectations or rules. However, this was done some time ago in most of the traditional arts.

Later!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...