• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jujitsu (traditional) vids or mpegs??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm not sure of the style of Ju Jitsu, but the tournament is run by an organisation called the JJIF, which allows striking, throwing and groundwork. As a result, these tournaments are open to a lot of styles, including some TKD and BJJ.

http://www.jjifweb.com/

The JJIF aims to allow the continuation of sport Ju Jitsu. Normally, since Ju Jitsu maintains the philosophy of being able to use any move to win in a fight, it became relatively hard to determine a system of competition, until the IJJF (now called the JJIF) formulated a set of rules to satisfy the needs of a Jitsuka to complete successfully. My roomate who is from Poland, trained in this type of Ju Jitsu. Basically, all schools in Poland train in this manner, full contact, irrespective of style.

Sparring is hard, and the competition is very open in terms of rules, so competition seems to be more about competiting within the rules than conforming to a certain way of fighting. For this reason, Boxing is incorporated into training as well as other systems such as Muay Thai. Much of Europes Ju Jitsu schools also incorporate BJJ. I think this all started with Remco Pardoel (UFC I competitor) in Holland, and carried on from there as BJJ grew in popularity.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

The American affiliate to the JJIF is the USJJF(http://www.usjujitsu.net/home.htm).

The US competes in the JJIF in the World Games, Pan-Am games, and the world championships. However, it's not a very good tournament for BJJ because you are not allowed to close the guard.

In addition, if your opponent has you in side control, and you get back to guard, they do not count it as an escape and simply continue to count osiakomi points. 10 seconds for 1 point and 20 seconds for 2 points.

Also a tap out is just worth points... it does not end the match. It is 2, 2 minute rounds long. There is a 1 minute break in between.

Unlike what you saw in the video, striking is not allowed once a grip is made. You can strike for points until someone grabs the other. At that point you must attempt to take down the opponent. Flying armbars and single leg takedowns are not allowed. In general...the take downs must be from Traditional Judo.

Once you hit the mat, there really isn't much grappeling. You are not allowed to stand to pass. If this happens, the action is stopped and both competitiors go back to their feet. It is 100% a point game. Excessive contact will get you disqualified. Also, rolling back onto the neck...as in a stack pass, is illegal. It is illegal to push the head when going for an arm bar. Guillotine would be illegal due to the angle of the neck.

I have competed and took second in their national tournament. However, I would describe it as a Karate and Judo tournament with some ground work. Don't get me wrong...it's fun. But you are extremely limited on the groud by the rules. All the rules and regulations are listed on the website.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."