• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think i've found the place, now for the style...

Hey i'm not only new on this forum but i'm also new to martial arts. Well i tell a lie a few years back i did TKD for a few months however i was forced to quit once the place i was taught (a small church hall) was closed :cry: But after a little growing up, and a little thought i have decided to take up another MA. But my friends here is my dilema, over the years i have piled on the pounds and i am somewhat overweight and out of shape, :( BUT i have extreme amounts of enthusiasm and determination to look good and feel great. My main goals in a MA is to : look good, feel good, be able to defend myself whilst out (Nottingham's becomming a rough place nowadays) and even go into comps eventually. The place i am almost certain about joining is run by a grandmaster vohra whom i've been told is VERY well known across the martial arts community. At his academy he teaches the following: TaeKwonDo, Shaolin Se Suin Chen Mermin Dang Lang Kung Fu Which is the ten animal style:-

(Snake, Tiger, Panther, Monkey, Eagle, Crane, Lion, Bear, Horse and Dragon)

With the edition of Mermin Dang Lang - the Praying Mantis This hails directly from the teachings of Dr Lee Keun Tae, 10th Dan, And also kick thai boxing. Now though i have done TKD before and i enjoyed it somewhat i am unsure about its usefulness in the real world. I am curious as to if ANYONE could PLEASE help me in comming to a decision based on my current shape and what i want out of a MA. i have also gone to view the lessons and all seem really good. Thanks a lot for any replys... :karate:

I would leave a message of such great importance and with such powerful words it leaves you in complete awe...but i can't think of anything...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Thai Kickboxing sounds like what your after.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Take into consideration what it is that you like. Can you see the application for the style in a modern time, does the style fit your body type? I approach my students individually, according to what body type they have, not by omitting a technique but by using a variation that is fitting for them.. a side kick to the knee instead of the chest or head. Also are you aggressive or passive, this will make a difference in the art you choose. Good luck and if you try one and decide it's not for you(after you have given it a fair chance) then try another until you find what you are looking for.

Most schools offer a trial membership. Talk to the head instructor about this and try the class instead of watching it. This might help you make a good decision on whether this is the right school for you. Good luck!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

I reccomend the thai kickboxing based on the fact that you are interested in self-defense.

Thai boxing usually deals extensively with clinch work, whereas the other styles mentioned will probably not. Fighting from the clinch is an important skill to have, and is probably the most important range for self-defense. While the other styles might do one-step style drills that involve clinching with the opponent, they normaly wouldn't include fully-resisting sparring in this range like Thai boxing/muay thai would.

The low kicks, elbows, and focus on pad/bag work and sparring (as opposed to forms and techniques done just in the air) also make it better for gaining practical fighting ability.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• 1 month later...