• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The term "Roundhouse"...

Does anyone know how the term Roundhouse originated and used in martial arts terms such as "Roundhouse Kick", "Roundhouse Punch", etc.

When I first studied martial arts, the term "Roundhouse" was first used before the single term "Round".

Thanx for the responses.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I also use the term round kick or round punch. I personally never heard of a roundhouse and I've been in martial arts 33 years.

In TKD circles, "roundhouse kick" is the normative term. "Round kick" is also used for the same kick.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've heard the term, but we generally use "round kick".

I would guess that it comes from the term "round house" that is used in railroads, since it is delivered in an arc. Boxing uses it, as does baseball (A roundhouse curve).

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I have studied many styles and have a raibow of belts in a variety of systems. In american kenpo the roundhouse kick was a reverse motion spinning kick, striking with the bottom of the foot. So, if you right leg is back, you spin 360 clockwise with the rear foot, what in TKD we call a wheel kick. They (kenpo) called that roundhouse. Their wheel kick was what I call now a round house. Right leg back, pivot on the front foot, turning counter clockwise with the rear leg, and strik with the instep. Who got these reversed, ED parker of Jhoon Rhee? :lol:

place clever martial arts phrase here

I maybe wrong, but I think it comes from the Japanese word miwashigeri (sp?). Miwashi = round Geri = kick. American's coming back to the U.S and starting their own Dojo's needed to explain the kick, would use the term roundhouse kick, using a term that American's were familar with, roundhouse punch.

David Davis

Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything.

Bob Dylan