• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finding Breaking Boards

Hello Everyone! I know that most of us that have trained in the Korean schools are doing a lot of board breaking. I called a TKD school about who their board supplier was (since they were local) and they said that they purchase their boards from Korea. Wow! That's a long way! I know the boards are very good boards too. I know that I'm not going back to our local lumber yard! Does anyone know of a Korean breaking board supplier on the East Coast so that I can buy in bulk? Thanks! :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

http://www.plymouthpine.com/store/page1.html

Or, if your local lumber yard carries #1 white pine in 1"x12"x ? inches, just get that. Make sure that there are VERY few knots, and that it is older/dried (Doesn't smell like pine tar), cut them into 1 foot lengths.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Home depot will even cut em for ya. Yeah, they'll look at ya funny when ya say, "I want this cut in 1 foot sections." But, they'll do it.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Dragon Mike, the problem I had with some of the lumber yards, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., is the quality of the boards, moisture content, and cost. Some of the so called untreated boards seem like they are treated. I guess low heat for drying wet boards! For some reason the boards in the dojangs are different... Has anyone dried wet boards in an oven before?

Thanks for the web address Aodhan. We cut our boards to 1"x 12"X12" boards for adults/juniors 12"x6" for pee-wees; 1/2"x12"x12" for junior demo from the lumber yards. The 1/2" are more expensive.

Our Home Depot charges after so many cuts! Amazing isn't it! Hey, time is $$$! LOL! But, I did get that look that you're talking about, Iceman! :lol:

I had to perform hand breaks during a demo and it was during the summer and it was hot, humid and raining outside. The doors were open to the gym and I tell you, those boards were EVIL!! :o

We get ours at home depot too. Sometimes you get a nasty board but that's just part of the game I guess. You can dry them out in a sauna (worked well at our old location) or in the oven but I've never tried that myself. I'd venture a guess and say a low heat (100-200 F) for a few hours would be sufficient.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

boards in the dojangs are different... Has anyone dried wet boards in an oven before?

Heh. Not a problem here, I live in Phoenix, Az. Just stack 'em outside in the summer for a week, and poof! dried boards!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player