• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about Taekwondo, Hapkido, T-USA

While searching for a school in my area I called T-USA, and they teach Taekwondo and Hapkido. The instructor who answered the phone was very polite, and knowledgable. He explained some things to me about the school, but seemed to want to push the Hapkido more than the Taekwondo. From what the instructor stated, Hapkido is mainly self defense with pressure points, grabs, throws, etc. He stated that they do not compete with their Hapkido, nor does Hapkido utilize weapons. Thoughts on this? Any info is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows anything about the T-USA schools that would be great as well.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never heard of T-USA but he could have pushed the hapkido for a number of reasons. He might personally like HKD better than TKD, it might be he thought that the questions you asked indicated you might like it better than TKD, or in a worst case senerio it could be that the HKD classes cost more and he wants to make more money off of you. I'm hoping it wasn't the later but like I said I've never heard of that place. Check around a bit and let us know what happens.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Neil has it right on the $$ about checking around. Visit other schools, too. I'm originally from Elgin, IL, & I know there are a lot schools in the Woodridge/Bolingbrook/Napperville area. (Sorry, I can't recommend one, tho). Visit a few. It will help you develop good questions. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I have tried Taekwondo when I was younger, and have mixed feelings about how it fits me. I am not really a fan of Hapkido. (there is nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it fits me) I have been searching all day, and 90% of the schools in my area teach Taekwondo, and hapkido. There is a shorei-ryu school I am interested in, but I need more information on the school. I have practiced or studied shorei-ryu for many years, so I am not sure if I am just afraid to cross over into another style. I mean with shorei-ryu I was able to learn various weapons, along with my kata forms, and point fighting, and continious sparring.

I have tried Taekwondo when I was younger, and have mixed feelings about how it fits me. I am not really a fan of Hapkido. (there is nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it fits me) I have been searching all day, and 90% of the schools in my area teach Taekwondo, and hapkido. There is a shorei-ryu school I am interested in, but I need more information on the school. I have practiced or studied shorei-ryu for many years, so I am not sure if I am just afraid to cross over into another style. I mean with shorei-ryu I was able to learn various weapons, along with my kata forms, and point fighting, and continious sparring.

Go with what fits you, my man. I know you're in the land of TKD there. But I'd encourage you to seek out what you really want to study.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

http://www.ataonline.com/schools/locations.asp

These are all ATA Taekwondo schools, looks like quite a few are in the area. ATA teaches point and continuous sparring, basic joint locks/groundfighting (Depending on school), weapons.

If you aren't sure if TKD fits you, then you might also look at aikido and jiujitsu/judo. I'm fairly sure there are a bunch, just might be a little bit of a drive from you.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player