• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would it be ok to wrap my ankles before kickboxing? I find in the middle of sparring i sometimes get a bad kick in and it seems to really mess my ankle/foot up. Have you guys heard of people taping there ankles?

(ps: im not sure what you guys practice, but we actually where shoes so not sure whether or not that will make a difference in your answers)

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why are you sparring with shoes? even when I trained kung fu, we did not spar with shoes on...

In any event, wrapping will give the ankle added support, but if you are getting bad kicks in, I would be focused more on correcting that problem... Have your teacher watch your kicks and have him tell you what you are doing wrong.

i actually know what i was doing wrong, i wasn't turning my foot on my roudhouse. And i wasn't doing this because the guy i was sparring with was going EXCESSIVELY hard. I know, this isn't good either, but he left with the bloody nose and mouth, not me.... And because i wasn't turning i sort of sprained my foot/ankle. We train with shoes because it is Krav Maga and it is supoise to be realistic stuff. (not saying other forms aren't) But next time i won't be scared and i won't forget technique etc, I was just wondering if taping my ankles would be acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have fought tournaments with wrapped ankles.

Now I have a question ..... I tore the ligaments in my right ankle for a second time now (first time in 2002 3 days after winning gold at our championchips and now again end 2005 when I went skydiving).

I am unable to train and thus spend my time at our local gym doing weight traing. It is very sensitive. So my question. Does any one know a way that I can wrap my ankle to minimize impact and blows while fighting? I do Freestyle Kickboxing.

Respect.

"You do not truly know someone until you fight him." - Seraph

"To be the best, you must be the best." - Me

Use Muay Thai ankle supports. I recommend Nationman--they run around 10 bucks US, and they fit really well compared to others. Muaythaionline and many others carry them.

To strengthen your ankles, do calf raises one leg at a time twice per week. 2-3 sets of 15 reps with a dumbbell held at your side should help. Also, practice balancing on one foot every chance you get. It develops proprioception in your ankle to prepare you for awkward joint positions.

:karate:

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if the ankle sprain is recent DONT use ankle supports!!!!

I am a student athletic trainer, i know these things, that would be VERY BAD!

if it is a repeat injury in the same place (as it sounded) you should start with ankle-stabilization exercises (always useful but especially important after an injury). Then move to eccentric exercises (with supports or ankle tapes (I can send you video or text instructions for these)) from that point on, practice as comfort allows.

Your feet support your ENTIRE body, take GOOD CARE of them. better to lose time training than to have permanent damage to foot.

edit: i should clarify, the ankle supports aren't bad... the fact that people think the ankle supports make them all better instantly IS bad.

• 5 months later...

I use these for Muay Thai: http://www.mmawarehouse.com/Combat-Sports-Ankle-Supports-p/csi-1021.htm. I wear them on both ankles under my shin and ankle guards.

I've torn ligaments in my left ankle five times in my life: four as a teenager, then again just over a year ago. Don't wrap it if it still is healing, at least not in order to train. You need to rehab it with strengthening exercises. Calf raises are actually very good to strengthen your ankles. You also need rotation motion and careful monitoring to ensure you compensate for ligament damage that is essentially permanent. Scar tissue has filled in the tears, and now your ankle(s) will be susceptible to re-injury. It can be something overt like kicking wrong with that foot, or turning weird as you pivot on it; or something insidious like catching your heel on a step as you descend some stairs.

Take it from me - care for your ankles from now on, and don't overdo it. They make ankle supports that lace up if you really have problems. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.