• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

splits

I am wondering is it possible to do the splits if your not natually double jointed . i can not but i guess i am not far off, Can you physically push your self further ? Can you damage muscle etc ?. is there a correct way ? I have been told your body goes through a change every 6/7 years so you should be able to,or is this a myth ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We are how we are made. I know I have limitations.

I am short, so naturally I will not be able to kick as high as others.

Also, my ligaments, and tendons can only stretch so far, and since I am male, my pelvic structure may not allow for such.

So hopefully, I can always kick in proportion to my height.

We can push outselves physically, but only do so with the guidance of a physician.

In our youth, it seems more important to push, and push, and drive yourself further than the day before.

As we get older, we simply do not want to lose what we have, which for some is just as hard work as trying to achieve something you do not have.

---------------------------

As I have gotten older, my true goal is to stay limber enough to always hold out (to the midsection) a side kick or front kick or otherwise.

That is I work on maintaining my physical health, flexibility, endurance, and so on, while attempting to better myself in skill, in knowledge, in and principle, etc.

I would say with proper guidance take yourself as far as you can go, working on both bettering yourself externally, internally, emotionally, mentally, and physically.

Just remember it's okay to ask for help.

Good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

The bones of your hip joint may have grown over the socket where the leg connects. This is the case with me and my legs only come apart so far, no matter the flexability between my legs. I can even see this in an x ray. i'm not going to give up tho, i'm just going to try harder each day.

place clever martial arts phrase here

One doesn't have to be double jointed to do the splits. I'm not double jointed and I could do the splits (although one side better then the other). It takes a lot of work and one must maintain it.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

I also try to do them everyday, it dosent seem like im improving much its like im stuck at this one place and i cant seem to go down further. I can kick over my head but i cant do the splits, i dont know how that works but yea.

Well stretching can help, and even practicing the splitz can. I think it is very possible, I'm not very flexiable but as I did it more I got used to it and it became natural. But don't push yourself to hard, it takes time. ^_^

~Mary Roses

There's also power stretching which is very effective but they are tough exercises. These are stretches which involve active muscle contraction in the opposite direction at the same time. It's used quite commonly in physiotherapy and also disciplines like gymnastics and dance that require high flexibility.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com