• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knuckle Hardening

well, i was advised recently that i may actually have nerve damage in my hand. This may be caused from punching something too hard. Has anyone heard of this before? i dont feel a problem or anything but it's there i guess...

Yes I have heard of it! I'am not a expert in it, but I have heard from several sources in the medical field that it is quite possible and can happen with years of hitting hard objects e.t.c.. its the risk you take I guess.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i was advised recently that i may actually have nerve damage in my hand. This may be caused from punching something too hard. Has anyone heard of this before? i dont feel a problem or anything but it's there i guess...

That's the reason I'm against that knuckle hardening.

It's not worth the risk.

René

I don't feel like reading all the replies so this might have already been said

anyway if you want to toughen your hands you can get a bag and fill it up with sand then punch it, chop it, hit it with ur fingers (tiger claw) panthers fist etc.

then eventually you can get another bag and fill it up with marbles, punch the marbles really softly because they hurt like crazy if you havn't done a lot of toughening.

I read one person was asking what is the point of hurting yourself to improve yourself? Once my instructor said that when toughening, with any part of your body (knuckles, legs, forearms etc.) At first your body will be bruised. Then your body will send messages to your brain making your body stronger. (sort of a self preservation thing) So I have pretty much been going under that philosophy since. :idea:

YAY pepto bismol

Just for information why do you need to toughen up your knuckles what is the reson for doing this i cant think of a good one?

It really helps for brick breaking with your fists.

I hardly see how injuring your hand by punching a hard object, for the sole purpose of punching other hard objects, could be of any benefit.

I believe in knuckle toughening for this reason. As we are all humans and most of the times we never do anything perfectly added with the fact that your not always in control in the situation that you are in, mistakes happen. Putting that in context. Lets say your sparring or in a actual fight you might accidentally miss your intended target and hit something with your fist that you shouldn't. An example would be aiming for the face and hittng the skull instead or your opponent and striking a wall or something else. I heard of these things happening to others. Perhaps some knuckle toughening could have saved a few broken hands in some cases or better yet lost fights.

Aside of that. As someone else here mentioned already the exercises for conditioning the knuckles also strengthen the the proper alignment in the wrist for a forefist punch.

Just for information why do you need to toughen up your knuckles what is the reson for doing this i cant think of a good one?

It really helps for brick breaking with your fists.

I hardly see how injuring your hand by punching a hard object, for the sole purpose of punching other hard objects, could be of any benefit.

I believe in knuckle toughening for this reason. As we are all humans and most of the times we never do anything perfectly added with the fact that your not always in control in the situation that you are in, mistakes happen. Putting that in context. Lets say your sparring or in a actual fight you might accidentally miss your intended target and hit something with your fist that you shouldn't. An example would be aiming for the face and hittng the skull instead or your opponent and striking a wall or something else. I heard of these things happening to others. Perhaps some knuckle toughening could have saved a few broken hands in some cases or better yet lost fights.

Aside of that. As someone else here mentioned already the exercises for conditioning the knuckles also strengthen the the proper alignment in the wrist for a forefist punch.

Also not to mention the devastating effect it would have on the intended target...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

That's the reason I'm against that knuckle hardening.

It's not worth the risk.

I am not against it but I had no idea that I'd punch so hard* that it'd be damaging...lol ... sweet! lol j/k

and that's the thing too alignment for the wrist is important so any strengthening would be good for that.

And about for the reason for hiting something hard that is, hard... it's just the sheer point of it for me i like to see the damage that is done with the force i can dish out. i know i'm not the only one who shares this. and i'm not sure what it's like for you others who do not feel this way sometimes. different stokes for different folks. =) it's part of the fun and also part of the seriousness.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

i punch the makiwara board

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

First of all I would talk with my instructor. Then, if you still want to go with it you need to start, probably where you are and then build up from there. You end up striking harder and harder items. The first thing that you need to do it toughen the skin with callus. Do you need it? Depends. One thing that I will warn you of is that repeated hitting hard objects for a long period of time will destroy your joints. You increase the possibility of having arthritis.

As Isaid. talk to your instructor and then talk with a medical specilist for arthritis to get some more specifics.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

since i started karate, doing pushups the regular way just doesnt feel right, we also at the end of every class, do knuckle jumps as well

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."