• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long till you got Black Belt

From one aspect, it took me 24 years. From another, it took me 32 months. From another, it took me 24 months.

I started TKD training in 1966 (Jhoon Rhee's organization) and was getting ready to test for 1st Degree and never did. I joined ATA in August 1987 and made 1st Degree in June 1990. However, there was an 8 month gap in there right after I was diagosed with arthritis while the meds were kicking in enough to enable me to resume training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 more year to get my second degree, and I am in the middle of my 2 year stretch to get to 3rd.Aodhan

Ha? One more year to get your second degree and your are currently working towards your third. What kind of operation are you working out at? So are you at the start of your fourth as well?

Heh. No, 1 more year AFTER I had earned my first degree to get my second. It's then 2 years after THAT to get to third degree (At a minimum). Then 3 years minimum to 4th, and then 4 years more to fifth plus other obligations.

I tested for 2nd degree decided in September of 2004, and I should test for third in September 2006.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

1 more year to get my second degree, and I am in the middle of my 2 year stretch to get to 3rd.Aodhan

Ha? One more year to get your second degree and your are currently working towards your third. What kind of operation are you working out at? So are you at the start of your fourth as well?

Heh. No, 1 more year AFTER I had earned my first degree to get my second. It's then 2 years after THAT to get to third degree (At a minimum). Then 3 years minimum to 4th, and then 4 years more to fifth plus other obligations.

I tested for 2nd degree decided in September of 2004, and I should test for third in September 2006.

Aodhan

So from the time you earn your black belt, it only takes 3 years until your a 3rd dan??? Doesnt seem quite right.

You mentioned if you started from scratch it would have taken you 29 months, thats 2.5 years.

So just say I started young, say 8 years old. By the time i'm 11 i'd be shodan, 12y/o - 2nd dan, 14 - 3rd dan, 17 - 4th dan, then by the age of 21 I could be testing for 5th dan?? Hmm...

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

So from the time you earn your black belt, it only takes 3 years until your a 3rd dan??? Doesnt seem quite right.

You mentioned if you started from scratch it would have taken you 29 months, thats 2.5 years.

So just say I started young, say 8 years old. By the time i'm 11 i'd be shodan, 12y/o - 2nd dan, 14 - 3rd dan, 17 - 4th dan, then by the age of 21 I could be testing for 5th dan?? Hmm...

No, we have age limits, although they just changed and not sure what they are currently.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

3 years

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Aodhan

If you started at age 8, you would not be eligible for 5th dan until you are 23. (At a minimum). Minimum age for 4th degree in our system is 18 (Some agree with this, some don't. I mostly don't agree with it, but there are exceptions).

However, in our system, once you get to 4th, you have to earn enough points per year to be eligible, and a lot of it counts on how active you are in the region and nationally, if you own a school, etc. Things that the average 18 y/o probably won't have the time to do. So, the system itself will limit the number eligible to test, and then you have to test at Worlds in front of the Masters council as well, which is also a limiting factor.

Aodhan