• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

could someone help me with Passai Dai and Jin Do

I will be 4th Gup in 2 days. I am learning forms from a forms video, I know the first 11 so far (kicho forms, pyung forms, passai so and the first staff form). Starting yesterday, my instructor has been allowing me to go to a more advanced class with mainly cho dan bo and up, and I am the lowest belt rank in the class by 2 belt ranks. I went to that class today and yesterday, and both days we used the same forms, and I dont know either of them. We used Passai Dae and Jin Do. I have Passai Dai on my videotape, but it is too fast for me to keep up with. I am buying a DVD with Jin Do on it, but all that the DVD has is somebody performing the form and it is hard for me to learn forms without knowing the movements of the forms. Could somebody please list the movements in the Passai Dae form and the Jin Do form for me please?

Thank You,

Mark Snedaker

Tang Soo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jin Do is really a form for 1st to 2nd Dan...

Bassai Dae is appropriate for 3rd Gups and up...

I can't think of a Tang Soo Do federation that teaches those forms to Green Belts... (which is what 4th Gup is).

There are various places on the web where you can download video clips of the forms being performed... but you really can't learn them that way.

You're better off learning them in class.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

If your instructor is allowing you to go to a higher grade class then he will expect you to try hard and to improve - not to instantly know everything (or instantly know every form at any rate).

If you're unsure of these forms then ask a higher grade student to help you out or ask your instructor to show you. Everyone has to learn at some point and there is no shame in asking your instructor or a higher grade for help. They will be able to help you far better than any instructional video.

Whilst in class watch the other students and try to copy what they do. Certain movements and stances you will be familiar with already, so try to get those right and soon the sequence of moves will drop into place.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

isnt bassai dai a karate kata? well, we use it in our shotokan school from 3rd kyu upwards.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

Yes, Bassai Dai and Jin Do are karate katas from Okinawa. These forms were the primary forms taught in Korean Tang Soo Do (Kong Soo Do) following WWII. The forms were brought back to Korea by Koreans that studied abroad during the Japanese occupation of Korea (1909-1946). That's why you see them taught in some Korean martial arts schools still today.

R. McLain

A 4th Gup learning Bassai and Jin Do????

Go back and make sure your earlier forms are solid. Your instructor is not letting you go to an advanced class because he thinks you are that level. He's doing it probably because you are a somewhat decent hard worker and he wants you to have a taste of what's to come so that you keep up the hard work. It doesn't mean he wants you to operate on a cho dan level. So instead of trying to get seconary training on forms that you don't need to learn in the first place, just work on getting your technique better on what you are supposed to know for your rank.

Yes, Bassai Dai and Jin Do are karate katas from Okinawa. These forms were the primary forms taught in Korean Tang Soo Do (Kong Soo Do) following WWII. The forms were brought back to Korea by Koreans that studied abroad during the Japanese occupation of Korea (1909-1946). That's why you see them taught in some Korean martial arts schools still today.

R. McLain

TKD, Hapkido and Gumdo all came from Japanese Martial Arts.

Also, the occupation of Korea lasted from 1910 - 1945.

I have seen so many variations of these forms. You need to learn the variation your school uses.

Most of the Japanese Ryus have variations of these forms.

The shotokan variety are what Korean schools mostly use, but even between korean schools I have seen so much variation.

I have seen at least 4 versions of Bassai and much more of Jin do/Chinto.

Besides, learning the forms too fast will screw you up. lessons and techniques from pervious forms must be understood so that new applications can be learned in later forms.

Most Korean Forms are based on Japanses forms.

Choi's ITF forms and the Palgue and Tae Guk forms are Korean, but if you have looked at both styles you can see simlalarities in patterns.

TSD forms were taken by Whang Kee from Shotokan.

To take a step further back, many of the Karate Do forms were taken from Okinawa.

Jin do/Chinto I do not think is as common in Korean schools outside of TSD. However, I have never meet a BB who did not know Passai/ Bassai. Every school I have ever worked with does some version on this form.