• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saishu Ryu Karate Jitsu

johnnymac

Still... 70?

1 kata every two months? Seems a bit much. It takes years to "master" a kata, and having that many to practice seems a bit time consuming.

Dude, you're in PA, you should come down sometime. I am in a class just a little south of Baltimore. We have been doing weekend sessions and stuff, so you should come check it out.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Shito Ryu stylist I must say that Shito Ryu has maaaaany kata but I was never taught a new kata every 2 or 3 months.

Since I started Karate as a kid(i'm almost in my late 20s)I think I might have been taught around 40 something kata now but really only practicing 8 of those on a regular basis(Unsu, chinto, and paiku are my favs). I can understand someone's perspective on only doing 15 kata max, or whatever..because at least with me therre is no way I'm going to have really got down the fine points of 40+ kata, no way at all. I've been doing chinto for a long time now and still don't feel that it's "perfect".

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

As a Shito Ryu stylist I must say that Shito Ryu has maaaaany kata but I was never taught a new kata every 2 or 3 months.

Since I started Karate as a kid(i'm almost in my late 20s)I think I might have been taught around 40 something kata now but really only practicing 8 of those on a regular basis(Unsu, chinto, and paiku are my favs). I can understand someone's perspective on only doing 15 kata max, or whatever..because at least with me therre is no way I'm going to have really got down the fine points of 40+ kata, no way at all. I've been doing chinto for a long time now and still don't feel that it's "perfect".

See we are the same way. Lots of kata, but only a few that you really really practice. There is something different for everyone. Like for me I love Heiku, Paiku, and Nijushiho. So I work on them a lot. We have guys who come in who just want to work stuff like Nipaipo, or Hououmaru. We know them, but only really practice those that fit you.

John

• 3 weeks later...

OMG I got freaking killed tonight. Was going up for Ikkyu, and had to spar Doshu Mertz. The fight only lasted like 20 seconds and I had no control over the situation at all. I ended up getting rolled back into a full body rack with a headlock. Tapped out nearly instantly. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do?

Here is the match

John

he simply out classed you, he used his hand ,you didn't, he was smart in the throw since he didn't start good but then he pushed your left knee so you rolled over your right ended up under, on side control part you tried to rolle out which put him in your back and choke, you should have tried to roll in opposite way, when he was on your back it was done. with people like sensei Mertz you can't just mix in , start grabing with your front hand and keep the distance before engaging the back hand this gives you a little bit more time to think, anyway you can't expect more than this, you did well.

OMG I got freaking killed tonight. Was going up for Ikkyu, and had to spar Doshu Mertz. The fight only lasted like 20 seconds and I had no control over the situation at all. I ended up getting rolled back into a full body rack with a headlock. Tapped out nearly instantly. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do?

Here is the match

John

Why didn't you kick him with those long legs of yours before he had a chance to come in on you?