• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKF Kumite players being to predictble we need to change.

Blitz

Sice I have just started compition training again for the 2006 year. And it being a Championship year and all. I was thinking about how to improve my bread and butter techniques and make them better, faster, stronger, and how to use them in reaction to my opponents. I realized we are all doing the same thing. in one way or another. Weather it comes to foot work or our techniques. Its all extremley predictable I myself am guilty of this as well.

If you really sit down and think about it all you have to do is know the opponents geographical location in the world and you can have an Idea of their fighting style. For instance Japanese players, their foot Work/Shifting is very old school and linear yes they are improving each year but you do know how they approach the match. Very straight forward and using alot of basic hand techniques and the ocasional roundhouse. For european fighters they are usually alot lighter on their feet and have very active footwork using lots of kicks. and a few are deasent at takedowns but most of them tend to force them. Now for americans we are the worst when it comes to predictability our foot work is generally a happy medium between the two I just described. And our techniques are predictable in the way eachone of us has our own style and preference but anybody who has seen us will know how to fight us and beat us thats probally why we never do that great at worlds most of us dont do any better then bronze. except for George Kotaka and Elisa Au but they are both extremley predictable they are just really quick for their prespective division, but hey george didnt do as well as expected last year in Mexico.

Lets look at elisa she does adapt to the fighter but in only in two ways if she is being agressive she will blitz in with a fury of punches. Or if she is being defensive she will lure you in and beat you to the punch. Thats all she has. Look at George what does he have but speed and very very fast hands and what can you expect out of him, yes he will do other techniques from time to time. But he is really waiting for that perfect reverse punch.

Like I was saying earlier about myself working on my bread and butter techniques. it seems like we are all guilty of this and sooner or later a new up and comer who we havent really paid much attention to will know how to beat us because we dont change up. every time we step on the mat there are people watching and learning how to spar us. If we want to keep our place on our prespective teams we have to change. I know I only explained my observation of a few of the people but I dont want to type for ever.

P.S this is all just my opinion no offense intended to anyone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To some degree i do agree with what you are saying about being predictable. However i feel that as the game changes especially with the rules being the way they are and favoring kicks so much that the fighters will soon become less and less predictable. Due to the fact that as the younger generations come up they are doing and getting better at kicks. With the generation that is in WKF right now they are for the most part still overall sanbon fighters they have fought with sanbon rules their entire life so therefore they do mroe punches then anything FOR RIGHT NOW. But with the rules favoring kicks and punches only scoring a maximum of two points (you have to take down and score) the fighters in the next generation will still mostly do punches but kicks will be atleast 35% of wat they do but the generation after them will prolly be closer to 50%-55% kick and only 50%-45% punches because people will want to score faster and easier. That is why i think this generation of fighters is some what predictable i think that the way people fight will change over time. also on a side note yes George Kotaka and Elisa Au do reverse punch very often but if it works why stop??? George in my opinion has the FASTEST reverse punch out of ANYBODY right now and i dont think any one for a long time will be faster than him when it comes to defensive and offensive reverse punch or reverse punch leading blitzes. his blitz is so incredibly fast it doesnt matter if you kno he is going to do it or not he will catch you with it and he will score FOR SURE!! Also George has THE BEST timing of any one that i have seen right now the only other people that would rival him are Junior Lefevre, Alex Biamonti and Daniel Sabonovic and a couple other fighters but all those guys are VERY VERY WELL established in their careers and have nothing left to prove George and Elisa also have NOTHING to prove to ANYBODY!!! anyway the point is that who cares if you are predictable as long as you are the fastest at what you do cuz if your the fastest you will still score even if some one knows you are going to do it.