• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

leading with cross--common or not??

I say leading with a cross(reverse) is risky because its easily counter. If someone came in at me with a cross and we stood in a close fighting stance(he's leading with the right side and so am I) I'll hook him with my right or roundhouse kick or drive in a front kick. I usually lead with my forward side. Its not powerful but quick, and once there's an openning I'll do a reverse punch or kick. What's your opinion?

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Leading with a Cross? What do you mean?

I usually lead with my forward side, but it's good to have variety. (YOu don't want to appear predictable.) It's a good idea to use your back leg, but be careful. You open yourself up. When I use the back leg, I don't use it for scoring.(except for a reverse counter-attack.) I use it either to close the distance or to set up another kick. Once I close the distance by using kicks, I end off with a back punch. It's always a good idea to follow up with punches after your kicks, if you're in range.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

well obviously you are not gonna lead off with a cross ALL the time.......but most fighters always expect you to lead with your lead side, when they are conditioned to that aspect then thats when you can lead with your cross

if you got a good cover you will not have to worry about your opponant countering you

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

For the average Joe on the street who doesn't have any martial arts training, I think it's fairly common for him to use the cross, quite a big one too! In martial artists I don't think it's common for them to open with a cross, I generally don't. A jab with the left hand is the last thing someone on the street expects :smile: .. I prefer my jab because I've drilled it constantly to develop power in the jab because it's so quick, and it's as powerful as my cross if not more powerful, heh. Prodigy makes a good point. When Mike Tyson fought George Foreman, he used his head and he realised the one thing he wasn't prepared for was the cross. He opened with a crossa lot of times and hit him, pretty insulting since it don't ya think ?

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I've been steering towards all my lead hands/legs because you can still develop quite considerable power in them and the speed more than makes up for the lack of power. It's always the one you don't see coming that does the damage.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Speed is good but whaty about the big guys? What if u need a power card to really smack them out?

I love a good jab right to the nose, but the cross has so much more power and just as much speed. It's all in the hips.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Leading with the rear hand is not a good idea as a common attack - but can be used to good effect if you set it up by good use of the lead hand. Make them wary fo your lead hand, then feint the lead & wham in the rear!

Feint high lead - hit with low rear, or visa-verca.

As an aside - do you differentiate between a fake & a feint? They are not the same.

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

leading with a cross can be a great surprize tactic. Check out lennox lewis vs. hasbeen rockman

would not do it all the time though

Honor is the most important thing a man has once you lose it it is gone forever

Lead with anything you want.... LOL.

If the cross is open by all means do it. To many of us fall into habbits that we see all the time.

I personally am a reaction fighter. I play D then counter. Thus I use the cross or revers a lot. When I am working students and play more agressive I tend to only use my lead hand.

Again to each his one. That is why it is Martial Arts and NOT Martial Science. In Art everything is right in Science only one thing can be right.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-06 23:56 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."