• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rock, Paper, Scissors vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/grappling

Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error. It is quoted below (some posts above are in response to it, quote it, etc.). I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

oh the user guidelines lol.....

1) depending on the style of jujitsu it was created for a) battlefield combat, not just ninja & samurai but even ashigarusha (professional foot soldiers) where taught the art. Some commoners even had losely ran "schools" of jujitsu or kenpo-jitsu within their ancestary.

2) BJJ won't work as well on the street as it will on a mat. Here is the thing, grappling takes time. Time to set a technique, time to twist a limb. Now there is also the mindset factor of a martial art. With most people who study bjj or any tournament grappling art, there is a sense of mimicing their "heros" choking out an opponent or whatever.

3) Have you ever been to the ground in bar brawl or during a mugging? Most muggings even with weapons are 2 or 3 to 1. Mostly propetuated by teenage to early 20s males who are 80% of the time in a gang and/or one drugs. That means atleast 2 or 3 to 1.

In those situations styles like taijitsu, kenpo-jujitsu or aikijujitsu excel. Because grappling doesn't mean wrestling on the ground, styles that blend striking & grappling do very well. Especially styles which teach the dirct concept of a techniques. Judo & aikido type arts, which BJJ is very much derived (heavily judo influenced) was designed as a "gentlemen's art." A gentle man does not fight dirty or kill an opponent.

4) The real reason arts like Karate, kung fu & such didn't do well is because the first fighter in the UFCs where excedingly low-class in skill compared to the Gracies. Even other grapplers.

5) Also does anyone know why the UFC chose the the name Ultimate Fighting Championships?

Because it was a spin off of the Ultimate Fighting Contest an event that began in Brazil & was started by the Gracies. So if memory serves me correctly the Gracies own(ed) the UFC. If fact there where a great many skilled fighters rejected from the first few UFCs, who where far better choices for their arts. But all thats marketing & politics.

Now in other MMA events we see BJJ doing very well so its not a matter of the BJJ being effective. But there is a whole different world between a mat & a street.

6) Now all that said, three things make a person an excellent fighter. The way you train, the you are taught & physical fittness.

Since most MA schools go lighter in training to attract clients I find very few "traditional karate" dojos who train the old ways. Since most karate schools water down their training to make more money off having students there longer.

This can be seen with karate & judo schools, use to be all the 10th dans where dead men who made a great contibution thier chosen arts. The highest a living person could be award was a godan Now a days we see some arts with 15th dans running around. Traditional is a marketing term for we want your money...

7) this is geared toward grappler, if I'm fighting on my feet you won't see me. I use allot of distraction methods & slip behind my opponents. A standing choke is just as effective as going to the ground.

In all this there is one simple rule for the street, keep it simple. So now whats more simple then a punch to the face? Also if I'm fighting a grappler I'll break a few fingers, kinda hard to grab anything then right? Thats also the reason why finger-locks are illegal ;)

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

rock beats everything, didn't you know that? now on to the subject at hand...it dosn't matter what i say regarding the grappler/stand-up argument, because everyone will keep their own opinions...despite anything anyone else says on this forum. (sometimes i think these threads are just to start arguments.) lol

what i will add is, fighting is stupid, and fights are chaotic. let me explain here a second...what i mean is noone knows what's going to happen once a fight goes down, whatever training you have will hopefully help you and may save your butt.

ps. grapplers win fights, strikers win fights, is one better than the other? i guess that depends on the day.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo

You are right about a bias; these days the UFC is favoring striking. Don't think that behind the scenes they're not pressuring their fighters to keep it off the ground a lot more, and look how quickly the ref stand the two up!

Anyway, in a one on one fight, pure striker vs pure grappler, odds are the pure grappler wins. It's easier to take a guy off his feet than it is to stay on your feet.