• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kumite / Sparring - How much is too much?

kreza

I've always been controlled, I started when I was 2 :wink: pitty I'm getting wilder in my old age lol

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sometimes I get to spar/train with my Sensei!!11 :) Sure everyone gets hit at one time. I learn from my mistakes. I punch and block as fast as I can so I'll can get used to the level. Then after that, I go even faster and keep it up until I've reached the level and so on. It''s very helpful.

First courage, second power, and then technique.

I've heard that the most dangerous people to spar are the ones that just started, as they have no control yet. Ah... I remember my first sparring session... that was hellish. I had absolutely no control and kicked my opponent in the kidneys. Rough stuff. :S

Actually many of us consider someone with about two years of training the most dangerous. They have enough skill and speed to inflict some serious damage, but often don't have a great deal of control. This makes for a very bad combination.

Anyone can hurt you, but someone strong and fast using pretty good technique with little control is really dangerous. We spend a lot of time with beginners doing "touch drill". Teaching them how to control how far they'll go with a strike. This is important not only for the sparring partner as they get older but also for the person so they don't hurt themselves as they get speed and power. Afterall, I can pull a punch 1" from you, or let it go through you, the only difference is where I plan on it stopping. That in how bad it hurts you.