• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

curious question/curious answer

I'm currently doing research on the history of Taekwondo. I just approached the Kukkiwon to ask if they could tell me who the first registered female dan is on their records. Oddly - to me it seemed - they said they didn't know because their records only went back as far as their computer system had been put in place...

So does it mean that any of us could just fake having a dan grade before Microsoft came into existence? :(

How else am I supposed to find the answer to my question if even the Kukkiwon doesn't know????

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might try posting a question to Google Answers. If you're willing to pay a few bucks for the answer there are enough expert researchers there that they might come up with something. If they don't find any good info, then you don't have to pay.

http://answers.google.com/

Be sure to share the answer here if you get one!

I have never been too impressed with the Kukkiwon. It really appears to be a poorly managed organization administratively. I am sure they have the records. The question is not do they have the answer, but how do you manage your way through the buracracy to find someone who can or will help you.

Did you try going to the musem? perhaps some one there could point you in the right direction.

Jill:

It might be a stretch, but you might contact G/M Brenda Sell (USCDKA.com). She's the only non-Asian Kukiwon 8th Dan. She might have some knowledge of early female Kukiwon history.

It might be worth a try.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

A high ranking friend of mine in Kukkiwon TKD used to have a manual or something that listed all the dan possessors. Perhaps you could talk to someone that has that manual.

Long Live the Fighters!

Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

I will continue to rummage around to try and find the answer. It's not a life threatening question, but I just felt it would be an interesting piece of trivia to include in my writing on the transformation of the WTF since it started.

My point is that how can the Kukkiwon claim not to keep records of such matters? I did actually approach the Kukkiwon directly and even asked them in Korean. Their response just seemed absurd. I wonder if the ATA would ever give such a response.

By the way, the day I approached them last Thurs, the tryouts for the Korean national squad were taking place at the Kukkiwon. Some of the contenders were average, some very good. There was a large female representation taking part, too. Perhaps in my couple of hours of attendance, I had somewhere seen the next Korean Olympic champion!

Just like the Hanmadang, I did take a couple of photos, but it will take me a while longer to actually finish the whole film and get it processed...

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*