• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cotton canvas or cotton fabric gi?

TAZ

I know, I know! There's another gi question. Yep! But this one is a little bit different. I was browsing through the internet, trying to compare differences in the quality of gi's and came up with this question.

Which one is better? Cotton canvas or cotton fabric? Thanks in advance for the replies. :D

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cotton Canvas is thicker 'heavyweight Gi's over 8-9 oz's' Cotton Fabric is lighter 'light weight gis 8oz's and under, if your looking for high quality and durability always invest some money and buy a Heavyweight Canvas gi.

Cotton canvas is the heavyweight uniforms are were great in tournaments for forms competition because you can hear the snaps when you made your moves. However, since there's been more extreme type of forms competition which focused more on flash rather than just plain old technique, I've been seeing less of the canvas uniforms. I think they are great since they are so durable and long lasting. A new one will feel like you are wearing a tent though so they may be somewhat uncomfortable until after a few washings. Some people like to use their heavyweight uniforms just for competitions while using regular cotton during sessions at the studio. That's what I did.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

I have both a heavy weight canvas uniform and a standard canvas uniform. While I like them both during training, I find the heavyweight canvas much harder to launder. It's so heavy and stiff that the washing machine can't agitate it properly, and it's a pain to iron. The traditional canvas uniform looks just as good, has been just as durable, but is so much easier to wash and iron.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?