Best Grappling Art for Self-Defense?

Which of these Arts is best for Self-Defense  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Arts is best for Self-Defense

• Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
    • Japanese Jiu-jitsu
    • Aikido
    • Judo

I don't consider it a simple mix, I've also seen aspects of boxing or kick boxing, & as stated earlier old school greco-roman which is nothing like modern or olymic wrestling.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like Judo, so thats what I voted for. I also think its a great art for self defence together with a striking art such as karate.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Most JJJ emphasise striking techniques.

I find that hard to believe, because as I read the history of jjj.

It appears to originally be developed for fighters wearing armor on a battlefield (after they lose thier weapon). Striking a guy with armor would not be good. :o

It sure would not be a smart way to fight.

Thats wgy you stomp kick the knee, or foot or use their chest to guide a finger gouge into the throat. It's actually easier to strike someone in armor then grapple them. Plus not all jujitsu was for the battle field...

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

Most JJJ emphasise striking techniques.

I find that hard to believe, because as I read the history of jjj.

It appears to originally be developed for fighters wearing armor on a battlefield (after they lose thier weapon). Striking a guy with armor would not be good. :o

It sure would not be a smart way to fight.

Im talking about "modern" Traditional Ju Jitsu. Most of the gyms nowadays focus primarily on standup techniques and the sort. As far as striking a guy in armor not being smart, recall that you yourself would have also been wearing armor. When using this for momentum, you could develop a great deal of power when you threw some strikes (hence the emphasis on spinal movement and alignment.)

I would assume the reason JJJ is more oriented around striking (notice I dont discount grappling in the system) is because anyone who was involved in it and interested in groundwork or throwing would have most likely found themselves caught up in Judo when it first emerged- those in the groundwork would have caught up to it in the newaze revolution.

there r a lot of votes for BJJ, its a really good MA for 1 on 1 but what happens if there's more than 1 attacker? u cant go to the ground with the first one because the rest will stomp u, I want you to consider that too, it is for self defense so anything is fair. I personally think that aikido or judo would be really good because of the throws and because aikido also trains with knifes and sticks.

I agree, and still continue to say that:

Judo has evolved into a throwing art.

It could work for multiple attacks.

BJJ has evolved into a submission art.

Jujijutsu has evolved into two paths:

1) similar to judo, but with strikes

2) similar to tradtional jujujsu, with locks, throw, submissions, and so on...

Aikido is about long term investment, so it might take a while before you begin to reap what you sow....

There are slight variation, but all in all based upon the poll, that is what I say...

:)

Later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 3 weeks later...

i would say aikido, because theres no guarantee its going to the ground so i would eliminate both of the jujitsus, and the judo throws are based on the opponent wearing a gi, aikido using the circular motions and the attack momentum is very practical

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• 2 months later...

i would go for aikido

you're taught to take on multiple attackers at once.

and even if those attackers are of bigger size and built.

as a girl, thats my choice, cause it doesn't utilise much strength.

aikido draws its strength from the attacker, if not, from the technique.

but the downside is that it takes time to learn so you must be patient.

----------------------------

Kasumi - Aikido Shodan

----------------------------