Best Grappling Art for Self-Defense?

Which of these Arts is best for Self-Defense  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Arts is best for Self-Defense

• Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
    • Japanese Jiu-jitsu
    • Aikido
    • Judo

I wanted to know your opinion about which grappling art would be best for self defense and their differences. Im a little confused, Ive practiced Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and really dont see much difference between it and Japanese Jiu-jitsu, im sure there's at least one just dont know.

I wanted to know why is it that no UFC, PRIDE, etc fighters use aikido? ive heard it is really good for defense.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im biased towards BJJ, but it depends. if you get taken to the ground i dont think anything can match up to BJJ. if its standing up and theres knife involved, i would pick JJJ. if the person has a nice sweater you can grab, a judo throw to crack thier head open would be nice. i odnt know enough about akido. i like BJJ because of the way we pracitce, i feel it helps us prepare.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I am biased for japanese jujutsu since that is what I know as it blends well with my striking system.

Eventually, if it happened, I would go to the ground.

But I feel that BJJ is best for those situations where you are guaranteed one on one.

Japanese jujutsu, like aikido is based around many opponents.

However all of these systems are dynamic, and evolving, and are adaptable to the individual and various situations.

The point is to do something and make it work for you.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Live training, emphasis on strategy, and emphasis on different techniques are what differentiate mainly between BJJ and JJJ. Although I am also biased, nothing has proven to be quite as effective as BJJ on the ground.

Most JJJ emphasise striking techniques.

Both Judo and BJJ have emphasis on sport but I would say Judo is alot more about the sport .

from what I have seen from the self defence videos of BJJ it seems like a effective defence art but one scenarios is if you go up close to try and grapple someone and they pull out a knife while you are trying to pull them to the ground then it is easy to stab or slash someone from that close especially if your not focusing on what is in the other hand that you have not disabled yet.

but I have never done BJJ or fought someone who did it so its only my opinion.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

Well it depends on the training program... Allot of JJJ schools have lightened up on their training & became very watered down. Like modern shotokan. BJJ is basicly a mix of judo & wrestling, and is extremely effective on the ground. Judo is kinda good for the ground but the sports game of the dojo desides what they focus on, some focus on throws, others ground game, a few self-defense group focus on judo as a "jujitsu system."

Aikido has some good qualities, & very painful standing locks but lacks the ground game.

Personally I'll take my JJJ system (omoto ryu) which teaches breaking the joint then controlling the limb. Image the poor guy being jerked around by a broken wrist? But a close second is gonna be BJJ, mainly because all the BJJ guys I met train with a principle & don't focus on techniques so much as Aikido or JJJ guys will.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

Well it depends on the training program... Allot of JJJ schools have lightened up on their training & became very watered down. Like modern shotokan. BJJ is basicly a mix of judo & wrestling, and is extremely effective on the ground. Judo is kinda good for the ground but the sports game of the dojo desides what they focus on, some focus on throws, others ground game, a few self-defense group focus on judo as a "jujitsu system."

I dont mean to nit pick, but BJJ is FAR from being a mere mixture of Judo and wrestling. A more accurate description of Judo + wrestling would be Shooto. BJJ is entirely different, even though it shares many common techniques.

Never saw shooto, & yes BJJ, atleast to me, looks like judo & old style greco-roman wrestling (which included chokes, arm bars & leg locks), not WWF theater wrestling or high school greco-roman.

Oh yeah is shooto similar to shoot fighting or something?

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

Shooto is just a shorthand way of describing Shootfighting which evolved from American Catch Wrestling in Japan (so it natrually incorporated some Judo into it as well).

There are so many details involved in BJJ and many shooto and Judo fighters who have had extensive training recognized that their initial conceptions of BJJ being a simple mix of Judo and wrestling were quite inaccurate.

Its almost like saying that Muay Thai is just boxing with kicks, when in reality it is much more than just that.