So how long are the rounds? How many?

And protective gear?

I appreciate the info.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Eh. . ..... not any "more" brutal than my Kung Fu school or other hardcore schools. . . . Hung Gar, Kyokushin, some Jujutsu I can think of. . . .

Mostly it comes down to to training methods. IE, at my MMA gym we spar/train with 16 ounce gloves (unless we're training with Pankration/MMA, then we wear MMA gloves).

This is to protect your hands, and protect your partner. We also wear shin pads, cups, hand wraps. We don't have head gear for some reason, but I don't really mind it. I can get my own.

Plus, most "sparring" you won't be elbowing your partner in the face to begin with. Too dangerous, he might not be able to go to work the next day. The point TRAINING is to train in a safe and positive atmosphere. Training is NOT "fighting in the cage."

Most people get confused.

Lastly, Thai Boxers don't kick palm trees.

Thanks elbows.

So how long are the rounds? How many?

And protective gear?

I appreciate the info.

prefesional rounds are 3 mins, amateur are 2. number of rounds is either 3 or 5. I think I stated gear in the rules, not sure. gloves, mouthpiece and headgear are required in amateur. everything else is optional. If the opponent wears shin guards, then by default you must wear them also. pro level, headgear is not worn.

Eh. . ..... not any "more" brutal than my Kung Fu school or other hardcore schools. . . . Hung Gar, Kyokushin, some Jujutsu I can think of. . . .

Mostly it comes down to to training methods. IE, at my MMA gym we spar/train with 16 ounce gloves (unless we're training with Pankration/MMA, then we wear MMA gloves).

in terms of training methods, yes, it is more brutal than most. Thai boxing as a whole is known for that super intense training. hung gar is not, for example. most styles where hard competition is involved have this rep - thai boxing, bjj, wrestling,mma etc. It's far more brutal on the trainee in terms of training, not necessarily in technique.

no, but before heavy bags, they DID kick bananna trees. The bark of the bananna tree is a tad softer than other trees, so they could kick them without tearing up their shins.

• 2 weeks later...

in terms of training methods, yes, it is more brutal than most. Thai boxing as a whole is known for that super intense training. hung gar is not, for example. most styles where hard competition is involved have this rep - thai boxing, bjj, wrestling,mma etc. It's far more brutal on the trainee in terms of training, not necessarily in technique.

no, but before heavy bags, they DID kick bananna trees. The bark of the bananna tree is a tad softer than other trees, so they could kick them without tearing up their shins.

Yeah, I know about the Banana trees.

I'm talking about old school CMA stuff though. Not that non-sparring, no-contact stuff. . . .

For example I know a couple of Hung Kuen schools that are full-contact, participate in San Da often, and frequently trains/spars bareknuckle as well. Plus massive conditioning.

But I know what you mean. If you're not training to compete, the chances of training to improve and becoming better is much lower. . . since you have no goal to accomplish, and no time limit to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
sounds like you know what to expect - intense training. As for the padding, it's worn for various reasons. We wear gloves and wraps to help ensure that the hands don't break. You are correct that knees are bare, but elbows are padded (at least in the US) if elbows are thrown. If elbows are allowed, it is a muay thai match, If they are not, then it is a modified thai match. In a modified thai match, you cannot knee to the head. In a full thai match, you can. Who told you a roundhouse to the gut is not allowed? It is very much allowed.

The reason for headgear is obvious. the standpoint on shinguards is that they are optional. however, if one person chooses to wear them, then both must wear them.

The elbows aren't padded in all Muay Thai fights in the USA anymore, but this USED TO BE the case....

In the Muay Thai gyms I trained in we didn't wear headgear and when I trained at Master Toddy's I never wore headgear..I think this depends on the gym you train in and your skill level.

Unfortunately for the most part a lot of gyms focus too much on the basics..which is ironic for me to say since I come from a karate background. What I mean by this is that I was taught more advanced strategies/techniques at my first gym but came back to it 2-3 years later and it was just all basics because I guess most of the fighters weren't doing that well and the only one that still was after I left relied on the basics. I personally think that advanced techniques should still be learned to go up the ladder...to each is own, though.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=