• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai seems brutal. Is it just me?

I am a BB in Karate and Aikijutsu and recently dabbled a bit in MT. It seems very hard (impact, not difficulty) and brutal to me. I am confused about the intended level of contact. I was told they don't wear much "armor" because it wouldn't be realistic so there would be no point. This is also their reason for allowing unpadded knee and elbow strikes to the chin and face. I get that but if full contact is the point, why do they wear gloves, headgear, shin pads, etc.? I would rather take an unpadded roundhouse kick to the gut (which is not allowed) than an unpadded knee to the face (which is allowed). Can you be protective and have realistic contact simultaneously? Can someone please explain this to me. I am quite interested in continuing but I would like to know what to expect.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sounds like you know what to expect - intense training. As for the padding, it's worn for various reasons. We wear gloves and wraps to help ensure that the hands don't break. You are correct that knees are bare, but elbows are padded (at least in the US) if elbows are thrown. If elbows are allowed, it is a muay thai match, If they are not, then it is a modified thai match. In a modified thai match, you cannot knee to the head. In a full thai match, you can. Who told you a roundhouse to the gut is not allowed? It is very much allowed.

The reason for headgear is obvious. the standpoint on shinguards is that they are optional. however, if one person chooses to wear them, then both must wear them.

Elbows are normally not allowed in most matches so there is no use of elbow pads ( at least in my gym)

Round house kicks to the gut? if you know wearing shin pads that can be a poor move for me because you don't want to kick near elbows with bare shins (it gets spiked and will hurt you more than it will hurt them) most of the time we hit upper ribs to their guard or forearms. But if one does not know this or is not trained to do this shin pads should be used. After all we all start off as a beginner.

Bare knees? Well I'm still a beginner in sparing for Muay thai although I have been training for about 5 months when we practice clinching and knee sparing we use curve knees and we hit like 4 inches above the sharp part of the knee. Which is basically a soft part of your lower thighs.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

Sounds like there are a lot of variations on the rules. I guess it depends on the school. I did not mean to say that a roundhouse to the gut was not allowed. I meant that you could not kick in general without wearing pads. I assume a curve knee is when you angle the knee to come in more from the side than straight up. They told me about this but it seems doubtful that all participants, especially beginners in this style, could do it consistently that way. I am just as worried about injuring others with an improper strike as I am about being blasted myself. Perhaps I just need a few more classes to get used to this. Any other things to look out for or do would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

I've just recently started my first couple of classes with Muay Thai, and I have to agree, that compared to any other martial art, it is exceptionally brutal.

Such is the way of a real fight, and brutal training yields brutal fighters, hence the reputation that Muay Thai fighters have. Its definately something for me- I love it, although I have to completely forget my BJJ philosophy when I start practicing.

it depends on teh gym and teacher really.... trained 3 different places, 1 allowed all blows irrespective of pads and elbow/knee restrictions, whereas 1 enforced pads until you were "senior" then it was choice....

Sounds like there are a lot of variations on the rules. I guess it depends on the school.

No variation. He is speaking on how they train at his gym. My post was about rules in the ring, not at my gym.

I did not mean to say that a roundhouse to the gut was not allowed. I meant that you could not kick in general without wearing pads.

In your gym, yes that may be true. In the ring, No. you can kick without them.

I assume a curve knee is when you angle the knee to come in more from the side than straight up. They told me about this but it seems doubtful that all participants, especially beginners in this style, could do it consistently that way. I am just as worried about injuring others with an improper strike as I am about being blasted myself. Perhaps I just need a few more classes to get used to this.

It will all come in due time. Keep training.

You are correct that knees are bare, but elbows are padded (at least in the US) if elbows are thrown. If elbows are allowed, it is a muay thai match, If they are not, then it is a modified thai match. In a modified thai match, you cannot knee to the head. In a full thai match, you can. Who told you a roundhouse to the gut is not allowed? It is very much allowed.

The reason for headgear is obvious. the standpoint on shinguards is that they are optional. however, if one person chooses to wear them, then both must wear them.

You're talking amature fights here right? It sounds a little different to Japan. I presume it varies from 1 org to another there, like it does here.

The amature tourney I've competed in here has 3 classes.

The lower class fights 1 round with full face head gear, a body protector, 16 ounce gloves, knee and shin pads.No elbows or knees.

B class fights 2 rounds. Full face head gear, 16 ounce gloves, knee and shin pads.No elbows. No grappling.

A class fights 3 rounds. Open face head gear, 14?ounce gloves, thin shin guards. No elbows.

All rounds are 2 mins.

What are the typical amature MT fight rules in the US?

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I've never seen a class division. Below are the IKF rules, which I fight under:

When Elbow Strikes are allowed to the head, IKF Approved or Endorsed Elbow Pads are MANDATORY. Otherwise, bouts with elbow strikes to the body do not require elbow pads.

Fighters may strike with Punches, Kicks, Knees and SOMETIMES ELBOWS;

Strikes with elbows and knees are allowed. However, some State Athletic Commissions may not allow knees to the head or elbows at all. Under these circumstances, these Muay Thai Bouts will be called "MODIFIED MUAY THAI". To be a Muay Thai bout at all, there must be at least Knee Strikes to the body. Please CONFIRM with the event Matchmaker what will be ALLOWED in your bout. Knees to the Head, Elbows, etc.

KICKS (shin or foot) & KNEES are allowed to BOTH legs (not the knees) of each fighter.

KICKS may strike body and head as well.

KNEES may strike to the Legs, Body and Head. However, as noted above. Sometimes Knees to the HEAD will not be allowed. Please CONFIRM with the event Matchmaker what will be ALLOWED in your bout.

Clinching is allowed as long as 1 fighter is ACTIVE WITHIN the clinch.

MUAY THAI Throws are LEGAL in IKF Amateur MUAY THAI. NOT HIP THROWS.

Fighters are allowed to catch their opponents leg and take 1 step forward. After 1 step, the fighter holding the leg must STRIKE before taking a second step or more.

Sweeps (With instep of foot) are not allowed but a fighter may "KICK" his/her opponents supporting leg with the top of their foot or shin, NOT the instep as in a karate style sweep.

No strikes are allowed to the groin or joints of the leg.

In TRUE Muay Thai as with these rules, FLASH KNOCKDOWNS where the knocked down fighter rises up immediatly after being knocked down are NOT COUNTED AS A KNOCKDOWN OR STANDING 8 COUNT.

Direct (Side Kick Style) kicks to the front of a fighters legs Are NOT ALLOWED.

Kicks (shin or foot) may strike the inside and outside of each fighters legs.

This applies in general - there is no class division. I've only seen class divisions in amateur san shou and in amateur boxing.

Thanks everyone. That's a lot more info on the rules / variations than I expected. This should help me lots. I'm going to go back soon and hopefully pick up on some of what you have said here.