• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Progression of ranks

You dont want to walk in a Dashing handsome person with a white belt and have everyone laugh at you.... colors make people more confortable, and its easier to rank people against each other in tourneys based on what the know.

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The differning views expressed kind of represent an inner vs and outer point of view. Does your rank mean more to you on the inside or does it mean more when you put on your belt? I think it as a natural progression for one to at first exprience pride in a new belt when you put it on. As the journey in the martial arts continues the actual belt or rand mean less it is the internal - what you are learning that means more.

Make any sense?

Often I have kids come in to class who want to know how soon it will take them to be a black belt. I give them a catalogue and say here order you belt and go home.

I stress its much better tp be a relly good low rank than a poor or even ok high rank. You gain much more respect from others and for yourself that way.

If you are in Martial Arts for the belt you need to go do something else. Its not about that. I had a friend in college who said he had been in karate for 18 years. He was still a while belt. He was NO WHITE BELT in my book. He said his father in Japan taught him and he was only given one belt. He went on to say that once that belt turned black he would be a Sensei and once it went full circle adn turned white again he would only then be a master.

Goes to show how waterd down our ranks are. LOL.

With that said Im a 2nd Dan in Shotokan. As far as skill Im ok. I think I make up a lot in knowledge. I was up for my 3rd Dan test 2 years ago. Which I choose not to take part in it. I will not test for my third until I think I am a REAL good 2nd Dan and that may not be for some time.

I

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."