• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Progression of ranks

After 3 years of being in the martial arts, I have realized that progresing in rank isn't the most important thing in the world of martial arts. Being a well rounded martial artist is probably the most important thing. Like having a good spirit and living your life not for get get give but for give give get. i always like to give more than i get because it make me feel all nice inside, like when you eat some soup on a cold winter's evening. How do you feel about just doing martial arts just for progression in rank, does it bother you, for what reason?

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No, the rank doesn't anything to me. The belt is just a physical thing I wear around my waist. I much prefer knowledge and intrisnic satisfaction for myself than a belt to have for pretty show to others, or to impress them.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hiya.

At first, it did matter to me. When I was progressing in rank, it showed me that my instructor thought I was good enough to go on to the next rank. The higher I got, though, I never got the "ego trip" (which some people do). But it seems like I "woke up" after getting my green belt. I just started to improve my technique. When it was time to test for my blue belt, I didn't want to test, because I feel I wasn't ready. I thought I wasn't ready, because (to me) my technique was still poor.

Now, it still means something, but it's not as important as improving my technique and skill.

Laurie F

The ranking system began with the Japanese I believe. The Japanese favor handing out certification for everything that happens in Japan, they naturally were drawn to the idea of certifying everyone who entered the martial arts. More than Westerners, in my opinion, the Japanese think that being official is very important. That which is not official is apparently without much value to the Japanese. They might even be said to value certification over quality and skill.

So those in the West who have learned Karate from the Japanese now receive a slip of paper, a card, a colored belt, and patches and shirts.

We have discussed the "value" of the belt in many other threads here ... and it is always a much debated subject. Let's face it... it is necessary ... it is a certification of skill, yes you know you're skilled but if you change schools or eventually want to instruct or get a job as a security professional ... it will serve its purpose.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan BlackBelt TKD(ITF)

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-04-04 07:38 ]

For the most part I agree.

My only motivation for advancment is that I must attain the next level before I can be taught another level of weapons, techniques, etc.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Getting a new color belt is not what motivates me to be great in karate. Wow, two months from now I'm going to get a yellow belt. Like I'm ever going to wear it to a funeral or on a date. A belt to me is just a marker to where I'm at in my martial art life. One thing that motivate me, however is to be able to handle a front kick in the gonads. Been practicing it on the street. "Hey, baby, you got nice breast." BAM!! (teeth clinched) "Don't worry, I'm OKAY."

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

I agree with KickChick that progression and certification serves a purpose in the Martial Arts. Let's face it, if you are an instructor and teach a kids program, parents and kids alike would love to know that they are progressing in their training, especially with the amount of money they pay for their kids to learn a Martial Art.

Also parents of potential students do their homework in asking about an instructor(s) certfication. It's almost like making sure your grade school kid has a certified teacher at their primary school.

Now whether or not the certified instructor is qualified or not, that can only be determined by observation and experience.

So long as you are dedicated to learning everything there is to learn in your particular style of Martial Arts, and progressing by rank is a built in feature, don't lose sight of what it is you really want out of your training!!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I can see what KickChick and PacificShore are talking about. It does matter to have a belt because of the purpose it serves in reputation and the changing of schools, I can understand that, but if you actually went down to the very core of the martial arts you would realize that obtaining a belt is not one of the most important things on the Martial Arts "To-Do List" so to say.

Break the bones and the body will heal, break the spirit and the body will die.

[ This Message was edited by: Phantasmatic on 2002-04-04 12:02 ]

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi