• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Class - New Skills?

When you start a new martial arts class, should you deliberately downgrade your skills to appear as a new individual, or just kick and punch to the best of your ability? When I resumed TKD after 5 years, I never told my instructor I was a blue belt previously, but I think me may have noticed I had some experience. As a result, I ended up sparring with a black belt, and got kicked up well. I saw this as positive as it would teach me to sharpen my reflexes, and work up to a standard where I was probably competent enough compete. If you train with the best.....

But then I got thinking. Is this right? If I continually spar people "better" than me, will this not hinder my growth as a martial artist? I won't be sparring anyone of similar level, and hence I can't measure my own growth against someone of a comparable nature. I am going to be studying Kyokushin soon, which is a full-contact bare-knuckle system of martial arts. To be honest, I have no intention of "downgrading" my skill, and purposefully slowing down. I feel that if I perform as my best, and the master sees something is wrong with my current best, he/she can correct my mistakes.

But my question is: should an individual with martial arts experience start new classes under the guise of being inexperienced. I know you should look at everything you learn for the first time as a newecomer, so you dont get your hopes up. But regarding execution of technique. Is it best to "pretend" you're a totally new student to martial arts? Or would it be better to perform your best as always, despite looking like a show-off and risking the chance of being made to spar with people better than you. I have no problem with the former. Martial arts is not about ego to me. But with regards to being set with more advanced practitioners. Is that academically sound?

Thanx

Superfoot.

If you are continually sparring people better than yourself, then you will be continually learning. Compare yourself to yourself, not to those around you.

Be honest with your instructor. They may have had experience with other students that came from your original style, and might have good training/transition tips, etc.

Also, if the instructor is worth anything and you have any remnants of your old style still in your system, they will be able to spot it just by the way you stand/punch, etc. unless you grossly overexaggerate acting as a beginner. Which could be bad in and of itself, by leading you to develop sloppy habits.

Just be honest, learn, and have fun!!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

from personal experience (recently joined a wu shu class but have a good time in tkd experience, and quite a bit of MT as well).... the wu shu class spar every lesson and the juniors are paired with black belts to show them the ropes, now in this situation id tell who i was sparring that i have some experience and that ive done a lot of sparring work, as this is only fair.... as for telling the instructor - he should notice anyway, and it depends how similar the styles are....

Your Quote: I feel that if I perform as my best, and the master sees something is wrong with my current best, he/she can correct my mistakes.

The teacher will "see" your prior abilities. You cannot hide them.

If your best isn't enough, try harder.

You always need to be training to the best of your abilities so dumbing down your techniques is not a good idea. I think that being honest with your instructor about your previous experience is extremely important. They need to know what to expect of you and they can then correct / alter any techniques that differ a bit in their style. They may pair you up with slightly more experienced people in training if they know of your previous experience. However always be humble, behave like a white belt in this new dojo and be ready to learn anything you are thought. Oh and on another note, I personally believe you "learn" way more sparring higher ranks than the same rank - in our dojo, when sparring a lower rank it is not your role to go too hard, beat them up and prove that you're a higher rank, but to go easy, to give advice about sparring tachniques, combinations, help with little things they may be doing wrong or help you learn new tachniques. Sparring your own rank will give you an idea of your own abilities compared to someone of the same rank, but in terms of learning, I'd go for the higher rank evry time. Their knowledge is huge, even just to watch their footwork, you will learn an immense amount.