• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When is someone a black belt? (To Instructors) Help Needed.

Here's the question:

How much has he improved over the point he was when he started? If he has shown enough imrpovement over his handicap, then he should be awarded his BB. Obviously if he is still coming after 10 years, he is dedicated.

I've thought about this (Since I have yet to promote a student to a black belt, I just started teaching on a regular basis recently), and my question before I award a black belt to someone will be "Is this earned, or is this a gift?"

Oh, and what law is there that says if he does achieve black belt, that he has to teach in your studio? Your studio, you make the rules.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well this is a tough call. I'm giving an answer having never been put in your position so maybe I would change my answer when the time came. But anyhoo, I think many of the posts are correct when they said it would not be fair to the art, the other students, etc. to give this student a BB. I know you want to reward the extreme amount of effort from this student but the fact remains, he may not be able to do what a black belt can do. If not, there is no question in my mind.

Not only is it a "stretch of the truth" (pronounced "lie") but he will become an example of your style, school, teaching ability, etc whether either of you wants that or not. When some new person comes in and sees him, he will think "That's what they call a black belt? This place is a joke."

There are other ways of rewarding students for other efforts. I agree with Gen Tora who said "give him an honorary black belt...". Also you could come up with another award for his specific accomplishments. I've seen certificates and awards (most improved, 1 year perfect attendance, best kata, etc.) do a lot for students' moral. But IMO, it shouldn't be a BB.

I would feel insulted if a guy gets to stand next to me and call himself a BB like me if he did not take the same test as me. And in all honesty, I would also feel cheated if I was exempted from some of the requirements that others have been required to do since that makes them more knowledgeable than me.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

I am an assistant instructor in my school, so do not ultimately decide whom should test for black belt; however, I participate in Black Belt testings and have an opinion on this subject. Last year our school promoted a student (who had handicap) to Shodan. Yes, she too made and makes mistakes, but she is giving her 100% everyday and always tries to improve. She went through the very exhausting 4 hour test and the written exam just as everyone else and was not given any special priviledges. I wish everyone had a heart like this student. Can she go out and win a tournament, no probably not, but that isn't why she joined. Can she defend herself if need be. Yes. Remember, belts used to only be white and got darker with experience until colorized by the judo system. Every student has a right to earn a rank and every student should be judged on individual performance and attitude. I have unfortunately seen black belts with great technique but with poor personal skills who do not represent their instructor and dojo the way a BB should.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

But this guy in 10 years still has bad form & doesn't remember kata, which you said right? Right, so why give him his black belt? As far as the origion of the black belt stuff, some schools didn't even have a belt system. And all belt ranking was derived from Judo... Funakoshi & Makoto Gima had at one point demonstrated karate at the Kodokan Judo School & even had dinner with Sensei Kano afterward.

In traditional non-sport jujitsu & karate-jitsu full contact bare knuckled fights were common practice. Belt rank was non existant, so you were a sensei when your sensei said so or you could beat him in a fight. Since until Funakoshi demonstrated karate to the Japanese martial arts were outlawed as open practice in okinawa, most styles weren't that systemized. Infact the ryukyu islanders as Japan calls them, don't like to be called Japanese or have anything to do with Japanese idealogoy. The Okinawans who were chiefly influenced by the chinese, & follow a taoist philosophy while most japanese follow a shinto or buddist philosophy. The never wash your white was Kano's origional adaptation to the Japanese belt system. But, it came about after Jugaro Kano created the Japanese belt system.

See this site for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_belt_(martial_arts)

Most commerical schools in the world have a belt system & the people who still train father to son, father to son don't need a belt. You do what dad's says or move out & train on your own lol.

Edited by Gen_Tora

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

this may be a issue where it would be better to refer him to a different instructor. After 10 years and he hasn't progressed past the 6-8 month level, it may be time to move on. there may be someone better qualified to work with him or a different style that is more suited to his needs.

6th Dan USA Goju

2nd Dan Shorin Ryu

Black Sash Sil Lum Kung Fu

Sensei James Perkins

http://www.worldmartialartsunion.us

• 4 weeks later...

Getting a Black Belt is like getting a drivers license. When I was sixteen I received my drivers license. Did getting my driver's license give me a false sense of securtiy. Well after a few accidents, I learned my lesson.

It took years of experience to become a good driver. Just because you have a Black Belt, this by no means make you a master. Some lessons are learned outside of the Dojo.

In this situation, I would certainly advise to look at the greater good. Too often in society today, we look only at the disadvantaged and those that unfortunately are not able to reach an expected level. While it is crucially important that we do make allowances for those with genuine disadvantages, it is unfair to hand everything to them on a platter.

What you must remember is that while for some that have posted here, a black belt is nothing more than a test of character, in the real world, many people feel very different about it. What it means is that if you were to award a black belt to someone who is only of several months ability/knowledge, you are insulting those who have worked just as hard or harder and reached a much higher level. It might not be quite as poetic than to believe that character is all that matters, but the reality is, the next person will either not value their black belt at all or will ask why they had to achieve such a high level when others didn't.

Another thing to consider is, what is next for them? Once they have their black belt GIVEN to them, what is there left to achieve? They can't possibly teach their own class safely and effectively. Do you then give them a second dan as well? The point is, while it's sad that some people can not reach the expected levels for some things, that is reality and that is exactly what makes people strive for them in the first place. How happy would you be if you were given treatment by a doctor that didn't know what a liver was? Or if your house was built by an architect that couldn't work out the area of a triangle? Why should it be any different for a martial arts degree?

They key to solving while still being positive and objective is to first fully explain the situation to the student. Chances are, they have probably come to the acceptance of the situation already. Then, you need to look at taking the focus away from black belt. There are many other things to achieve in Martial Arts and while it is my belief that a person in this situation should never be awarded black belt, it does not mean that there are not many other things that they can achieve.

With all the above in mind, I would like to say this. I completely respect the position you are in. While the above is my strong belief, either way it will be a very difficult decision and difficult consequence. The most important thing to remember is to handle the situation delicately and allow them to keep their dignity (and that awesome spirit to go on).

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Question:

What area does this student excel in? Give us some more details.

Obviously you would not have someone teaching classes if they are not capable, regardless of rank. I know plenty of skilled MAs that are not talented teachers and some decent MAs that would make great teachers. Not everyone has it all, but they do have something. So what is that something?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

In this situation, I would certainly advise to look at the greater good. Too often in society today, we look only at the disadvantaged and those that unfortunately are not able to reach an expected level. While it is crucially important that we do make allowances for those with genuine disadvantages, it is unfair to hand everything to them on a platter.

What you must remember is that while for some that have posted here, a black belt is nothing more than a test of character, in the real world, many people feel very different about it. What it means is that if you were to award a black belt to someone who is only of several months ability/knowledge, you are insulting those who have worked just as hard or harder and reached a much higher level. It might not be quite as poetic than to believe that character is all that matters, but the reality is, the next person will either not value their black belt at all or will ask why they had to achieve such a high level when others didn't.

Another thing to consider is, what is next for them? Once they have their black belt GIVEN to them, what is there left to achieve? They can't possibly teach their own class safely and effectively. Do you then give them a second dan as well? The point is, while it's sad that some people can not reach the expected levels for some things, that is reality and that is exactly what makes people strive for them in the first place. How happy would you be if you were given treatment by a doctor that didn't know what a liver was? Or if your house was built by an architect that couldn't work out the area of a triangle? Why should it be any different for a martial arts degree?

They key to solving while still being positive and objective is to first fully explain the situation to the student. Chances are, they have probably come to the acceptance of the situation already. Then, you need to look at taking the focus away from black belt. There are many other things to achieve in Martial Arts and while it is my belief that a person in this situation should never be awarded black belt, it does not mean that there are not many other things that they can achieve.

With all the above in mind, I would like to say this. I completely respect the position you are in. While the above is my strong belief, either way it will be a very difficult decision and difficult consequence. The most important thing to remember is to handle the situation delicately and allow them to keep their dignity (and that awesome spirit to go on).

Very, very well put. Graceful, yet to the point. Excellent response. :up:

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1