• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for good book on wrist locks, armbars, joint manip.

I have a series of books on ground work, clinches and takedowns, so now I'm searching for books on joint manipulations! :)

What are recommended books to get? Great would be a thick book with an great step-by-step pictures

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Analysis of Shaolin Chin Na,

Deadly Grip of Ninja: Thows & Takedowns

thats all that comes to mind right now...

Later,

Ron

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

I would recommend taking a class in an art that uses joint manipulation. If you only look at pictures you won't really learn how to apply the locks. If you have a friend over to play the role of resistent partner, then it's possible you could work on and use the moves, but without a qualified instructor around, you may use incorrect technique, or even do something dangerous and unsafe to your friend. If all you want is to learn kata, then by all means, look at books. But if you want to learn something that requires understanding another person's body mechanics, then you really need a resisting partner and a safe practice environment.

Beka, you are right. But these book recommendations should only compliment training. More specifically I am looking for a resource that can let me compare various wrist locks and grabs with the hidden moves in Shotokan kata.

Ron, thanks for the recommendations, I'll be looking into them!

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

Firstly, hands on with qualified instructor comes first. Then comes video training, followed by book training.

The key things to remember about kata, is that there are indeed hidden techniques. But in reality, these are just one person's understanding of what could be going on. Opinions and application of technique will vary.

For the most part, I follow with these thoughts, which are my own:

"The secret to kata, is that are no secrets. Just an interpretation of what is possible given the particular scenario.

Kata are blueprints. However, it is up to the builder to truly bring the kata to life, and make it real. It is both an art and science. Just as architecture is considered the same in many ways.

There are endless ways in which to say that a technique is being used.

However, based upon the situation, only then will a person know how viable a particular technique will be.

That is, will it indeed hold up against a wide range of scrutiny and real life application.

In my view, in regards to many karate forms, If there were secrets, they are lost. Or perhaps not yet to be revealed.

I teach things to family and friends, that I don't to strangers."

There are some things I teach to adults that I do not to children. I also gauge a person's reasons for wanting to know something, and then train from that point.

Does this mean that there are secrets?

Not really, just things that not fully explained, or expanded upon, as the door is always open, for a true fight is alive, and not static.

Though I do not follow the premise of the Dillman Method, I do support the man's idea that many things can be done with kata that are typically not taught in today's market.

Thusly, his video training series, or seminars might be worth looking into.

I would also look up https://www.flowingcombat.com, and reach the instructor there. They may know someone who could help you as well.

You might also try,

Shuai-Chiao Vol. 1-4

By Professor Chi-hsiu D. Weng Ph.D.

-----------------

I agree that videos and books are just additional resources, and that without an understanding of what you are already doing, it will remain a daunting task to truly explore these concepts without a trained person helping you out.

Before you start any new type of strenuous joint based exercises, it's best to check with your physician, and heed their advice.

Good luck in your journey!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...