• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Versus Modern

jperk1966

I have been training in Karate, Tae Kwon do and Jui Jitsu for over thirty years now. I recently went to a tournament which was sponsored by several large sport martial arts associations. I couldn't believe what I saw! The forms divisions looked more like a gymnastics competition. The weapons division looked like something out of "The Last Dragon" and the Sparring looked like a game of tag.

What has happened to the martial arts? I come from the old USKA and AKA circuits. When we sparred we went for it!! If you knocked out your opponent you won not get disqualified. Forms had practical application and the student knew the application of the form too. Form competetion is not all about how high you can jump or how pretty your uniform is. Many of us "Old Schoolers" want to see the old competitions come back and I hope they do before martial arts in whole suffers a black eye it will never recover from.

6th Dan USA Goju

2nd Dan Shorin Ryu

Black Sash Sil Lum Kung Fu

Sensei James Perkins

http://www.worldmartialartsunion.us

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's going to get a whole lot worse before it ever gets better.

It's easy to blame it all on money, but that's what I choose. There's much more money in pandering to six year olds than teaching karate. Adults don't care about learning how to fight - they want a gym that gives them self-esteem. Most dojos have become day care centers and tournaments are just excuses for "organizations" to give away plastic trophies for their overcharged students.

The good thing is, if you stay away from the tournaments - there's still some good schools out there; they just stay out of the tournament circuit for the same things you witnessed when you went!

JPerk,

I have been practicing for over a quarter century myself...And I agree with your statement.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Sport orientation and the general watering down of martial arts occurred well before money became a factor. It occurred before karate was even really introduced to the West.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I agree, I go to tournaments to fight. Not to play around. and as you said ... in my training if you get knocked out, thats just means that you will be out quicker so the other has more time to fight. I cant stand guys like the ones you were talking about at that competition. :kaioken:

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

I used to train in TKD at the very beginning of my training. TKD gave me the foundations for good high kicks. However from seeing quite a bit of TKD studios around my area I must say that there seems to be a ton of studios out there that are there for the showbuisness and money. Things like eight year old black belts, and people, who definately do not have the skills to test for the next level, being tested. I remember at my studio, it seemed like each year a new belt was added, of course with the additional charge per testing. I remember how people were tested on the basis of time and not ability. It just didn't seem right to me.

This is when I switched to Kyokushin. It just seemed to me that the kyokushin dojo is all about hard training, determination, and the physical strength that I was looking for. I know this is not just Kyokushin, but that there are many other dojos that still are true, but to get to the point, I do notice that styles are being watered down and dressed up, and it seems like good karate dojos are deminishing.

Great things are worth the effort it takes to find them.

I'm not a fan of the 'showboat' martial arts demonstrations, or tournaments.

In my experience, I'm peachy with 'no contact' kimute...it never really is literally no contact...but it is difficult to score clear points when you have to pull your punch within an inch of your target, going full speed and power against someone who clearly doesn't want to be scored against. IMHO it shows controll behind strong, practical technique...so in that light "no contact" kimute is great in my books..but that's just one man's opinion.

regarding all the flipping kicks, jumps, and dramatic technique that's been displayed...I see it as a little much, and a little overbearing...but again, that's just me...I realize I'm fairly traditional in my training.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

We fight like we train, so we should train to fight.

We should train with intent. That is, with constant follow through that annihilates the opponent, employing the different methods of complete Martial Art training.

We should build upon the skillset of the relentless champion mindset.

Fight to win, at any cost. Do whatever it takes.

Go beyond limitations, and think outside expectations.

Be fluid, relaxed, strong, and aware.

Keep it simple, and effective. Make it quick, and efficient.

The Martial Arts are not supposed to be a Hobby, Religion, or Sport...

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Some very good pionts!! I have been teaching 24 years and training over thirty. in 24 years I have only promoted 5 people to Black Belt and no one under the age of 16.

8 and 10 year old Black Belts are a joke. Not only can they not defend themselves at that age they don not have the maturity to be a proper Black Belt. I was trained that you are a Black Belt in every part of your life not just in the dojo.

I also agree you should train for reality and tournaments should test what you have learned. Years ago in the old AKA tournaments, it was common to see knockouts. Now if you rock a persons head back you get disqualified. You can't even use groin kicks any more. My belief is if you want to keep em, you better learn to protect them. Nothing teaches you to learn to block properly better than a kick or two in the groin.

6th Dan USA Goju

2nd Dan Shorin Ryu

Black Sash Sil Lum Kung Fu

Sensei James Perkins

http://www.worldmartialartsunion.us

There is nothing like a groin kick.

Those are some good thoughts...Certainly I see where you are coming from, and I understand much of what you're saying in this regard.

The best thing to do is to not train your student(s) to go to tournaments, and or hold your own some how.

I use many take downs and knees and elbows...There isn't much of that either...